Re: [JohnstonAustralia] Birth Death & Marriage - Victorian look up's

  • Jeannie J
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
      Yes, her name is Helen Ferrie from Belfast.

      Jeannie Johnston
      From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
      Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:35:31 +1000

      Tony
       Thank you so much.... you have found out so much more information than I could have hoped for.

      I never knew Isabella's last name or anything about her. We had her studio portrait at home. Her husband - my great grandfather - according to family folk lore was a philanderer!

      There's a mystery about the whole family because on the shipping records the name was changed from  Church register name Munro to Johnston.

      You may be able to solve this mystery - all we know about my great grandfather  is his date of birth - and there are 2 different months but the year is the same- and his date of death... but I don't know where he died.

      David Johnston born Scotland - either 14/ 7/1854 OR 14/4/1854... . died 9/10/1906....

      That's interesting about Isabella's place of death because my grandparents David [ her eldest child] and Elizabeth Johnston were living at Plant Street Northcote at the time. I do not know where her other children Frank and Helen were living at the time.

      Of course, discovering that I have Irish blood is  ironic because I have always been quite definite in my protestations that there wasn't a drop of Irish blood in my veins. I was proudly English, Scots and German.

      Thank you so much for the time you have spent filling in the gaps  for me.

      Jeannie Johnston.

      From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
      Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:31:35 +1000

       Tony
       You may be able to help me with this problem:

      according to the details in our Family Bible... my Grandfather:

      David Stanislaus Johnston -DOB 25/6/1879,
      Place: Langwarrin Sth Gippsland...

      I have drawn a blank .... with the Victorian Births, deaths  & Marriages... no such name or birth is registered!! !! ????

      His parents were David Johnston [ Munro] born in Greenock Scotland 14/7/1854,

      Isabella ... Irish... don't know her maiden name as it is not recorded in the Family Bible.

      Can you find out any details, please? Surely the birth was registered.

      Isabella Johnston died in Melbourne 28/10/1909- according to what is in the Family Bible.

      Jeannie Johnston

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007

        Jeannie,
        I just simply cannot find a match for this one and admit defeat.
        He has slipped under the radar.

        • Possibly never recorded.
        • Translated incorrectly.
        • Died interstate or overseas.
        • Recorded under a different name.

        sorry I could not help but persistence will eventually get a result.

        cheers
        Tony

        To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
        From: jeanniej2@...
        Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000

        Yes, her name is Helen Ferrie from Belfast.

        Jeannie Johnston

        I am offering free Look Ups for Birth's, Death's and
        Marriage's in Victoria between 1889 - 1920.
        If you wish to take advantage of this please supply as much information
        of the name as possible as well as approximate year and town or suburb.

        There is no charge for this at all, and there is no catches. I will not
        chase you up to buy anything. I am just sick of the rubbish on TV and
        would like to do something more constructive with my computer.

        cheers
        Tony Johnston
        Palmerston NT
        p.s. this offer is not restricted to the surname Johnston(e), any
        name's will be looked up, remember VICTORIA ONLY as I do not have
        rescources for elsewhere.
        :-)

        Find out. SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth?

        Find out. SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth?

        www.spreadthegoodstuff.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fclk%2Eatdmt%2Ecom%2FOAT%2Fgo%2Fnnmsnnxg0080000046oat%2Fdirect%2F01%2F&_t=765565283&_r=Telstra_FFF_Prepaid_Hotmail_Email_Taglines_JuySep07_Aug&_m=EXT
      • Jeannie J
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
          Thanks,Tony...another mystery in the Johnston family saga

          Jeannie J

          From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
          Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000