Linton Johnstons

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2004
      Just to introduce Cousin Don in Melbourne and me (Gillian) in Adelaide
      We share the same great grandfather - Thomas Johnston, who came to
      Australia from Derrykeighan, Antrim sometime in the late 1850s or
      early 1860s. The first official record we have is him marrying Mary
      Ann Campbell from Inverleigh at Germantown (now Grovedale) south of
      Geelong.
      We have traced his family in Derrykeighan - his father was James
      Stewart Johnston, mother Margaret Ann Johnson. The rest of the
      family emigrated to USA in 1873, and we have since discovered many of
      them thanks to cousin Lyn Crowder from California.

      James Stewart Johnston's father Thomas was mentioned in the Flax
      growers List, but we can find no other entry for him.

      It has been hard to find Thomas' entry to Australia - so many
      Thomases are listed, and Don has a theory he might have arrived from
      the US. The number of ships from there to here in that period were so
      great, and shipping records are rare. Gillian