My Johnstons in Ireland, NZ & Australia

  • Elizabeth Augereau
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2007
      Hello everyone,
      Thank you for including me in this group. I have
      Johnstons on both sides of my family - there is no
      connection between the two !
      So I am Irish, married to a Frenchman and living in
      France although I go to Ireland regularly to see the
      family.
      My father's mother's maiden name was Johnston and it
      was these ancestors who emigrated to NZ in the 1850s.
      William Johnston, a solicitor (my great x 2
      grandfather's brother) in Temuka, Otago. To cut a
      long story short, I am looking for his son, another
      William ;

      William JOHNSTON born on 16th August 1860 in Kuri
      Bush, Otago. He probably married Ellen Sophia MATHER.
      The 1893 Taieri electoral roll has an entry for Ellen
      Mather of Mosgiel, domestic duties. They had one son.

      Graydon Mather JOHNSTON, born 5th November 1898. He
      was enrolled in St Helier’s School in Auckland between
      October 1905 and February 1907 when the family went to
      Australia. Graydon married Mollie WILLANS in 1933, in
      Chatswood, NSW. He died in 1967 and Mollie in 1969.
      They are both buried in Bathurst, NSW.

      I lose track of William & family as from 1907 when
      they went to Australia - I don't know where they went
      ... until 1933 when son Graydon married in Chatswood
      etc etc (see above)
      I have looked in NSW, Victoria and can't find death of
      William & his wife.
      The NSW birth records on line are not up to date
      enough to give me names of Graydon & Mollie's children
      - I would really love to find a descendant still
      living !!!!

      If I can be of any help to anyone at this end, it
      would be with pleasure. BMD records in England and I
      can also do some research on my trips to Ireland.

      All the best, Liz

    • Elizabeth Augereau
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2007
        Hi again all,
        I ordered Graydon Mather Johnston's death cert dated
        1967 in Bathurst. It says that Graydon was born in
        Stirling West, South Australia (1898). As I said in
        my first message, he was then in a school in Auckland
        before the family returned to Australia in 1907.
        Perhaps they came back to Stirling West ...
        Graydon & his wife Mollie nee Willans had one son,
        William W. Johnston, born about 1936.
        Perhaps he is still in Bathurst ... at the time the
        family were living at 18 Blandford St.
        Has anyone got access to records in South Australia to
        see if Graydon's parents, William and Ellen are buried
        there...
        Or indeed to marriage records in NSW after 1960, to
        see perhaps if William W. Johnston married ...

        Many thanks for any help at all !!!
        Liz

        --- Elizabeth Augereau <lizaugereau@...> a

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
          Hi Liz,
          if you have no success with this request on this forum may I suggest you visit the link below.
          There are people there that do have access to SA records (in fact all Australia) that may be able to help.
          Membership is free,

          I use it frequently for requests and assisting others.
          cheers
          Tony Johnston. NT

          www.genforum.genealogy.com/australia/

          Johnstons Jungle

          To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
          From: lizaugereau@...
          Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:42:38 +0200
          Subject: RE : [JohnstonAustralia] My Johnstons in Ireland, NZ & Australia

          --- Elizabeth Augereau <lizaugereau@ yahoo.fr> a
          écrit :

          > Hello everyone,
          > Thank you for including me in this group. I have
          > Johnstons on both sides of my family - there is no
          > connection between the two !
          > So I am Irish, married to a Frenchman and living in
          > France although I go to Ireland regularly to see the
          > family.
          > My father's mother's maiden name was Johnston and it
          > was these ancestors who emigrated to NZ in the
          > 1850s.
          > William Johnston, a solicitor (my great x 2
          > grandfather' s brother) in Temuka, Otago. To cut a
          > long story short, I am looking for his son, another
          > William ;
          >
          > William JOHNSTON born on 16th August 1860 in Kuri
          > Bush, Otago. He probably married Ellen Sophia
          > MATHER.
          > The 1893 Taieri electoral roll has an entry for
          > Ellen
          > Mather of Mosgiel, domestic duties. They had one
          > son.
          >
          > Graydon Mather JOHNSTON, born 5th November 1898.
          > He
          > was enrolled in St Helier’s School in Auckland
          > between
          > October 1905 and February 1907 when the family went
          > Australia. Graydon married Mollie WILLANS in 1933,
          > in
          > Chatswood, NSW. He died in 1967 and Mollie in 1969.
          >
          > They are both buried in Bathurst, NSW.
          >
          > I lose track of William & family as from 1907 when
          > they went to Australia - I don't know where they
          > went
          > ... until 1933 when son Graydon married in Chatswood
          > etc etc (see above)
          > I have looked in NSW, Victoria and can't find death
          > of
          > William & his wife.
          > The NSW birth records on line are not up to date
          > enough to give me names of Graydon & Mollie's
          > children
          > - I would really love to find a descendant still
          > living !!!!
          >
          > If I can be of any help to anyone at this end, it
          > would be with pleasure. BMD records in England and
          > can also do some research on my trips to Ireland.
          >
          > All the best, Liz

          > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez
          > vos mails vers Yahoo! Mail

          Listen now! New music from the Rogue Traders.
        • Elizabeth Augereau
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
            Hello everyone,
            The on-line birth records for NSW only go up to 1906.
            Would anyone have a CD of these records, to see if
            there is a William W. Johnston born about 1935, father
            Graydon, mother Mollie nee Willans.

            Many thanks in advance

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
              Hello Elizabeth,
              I know you are asking specific questions about William JOHNSTON, but I did a quick search on RootsWeb.com and I did find a researcher that mentions Graydon JOHNSTON. This researcher is really researching the Mollie WILLANS side of the family.
              If you have not seen it before, the information may be handy for future research.
              www.worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

              Have you also visited the following link on the MATURIN and JOHNSTON families? Once again Graydon JOHNSTON and Mollie WILLANS is mentioned.
              www.maturin..org.uk/index.html

              Just for your future use this following link to Australian Cemeteries may be of assistance.
              www.ozgenonline.com/aust_cemeteries/

              I am visiting the library this week in Darwin so I will see if they have a disc on the information that you ask for. Lets keep our fingers crossed as most information of this type for public access  does not normally go beyond 1920.

              good luck
              cheers
              Tony Johnston.
              Virginia. Northern Territory.

              Johnstons Jungle

              johnstons_jungle@...

              To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
              From: lizaugereau@...
              Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:01:11 +0200

              écrit :

> [...]
              > > ... until 1933 when son Graydon married in
              > Chatswood
              > > etc etc (see above)
              > > I have looked in NSW, Victoria and can't find
              > death
              > > of
              > > William & his wife.
              > > The NSW birth records on line are not up to date
              > > enough to give me names of Graydon & Mollie's
              > > children
              > > - I would really love to find a descendant still
              > > living !!!!
              > >
              > > If I can be of any help to anyone at this end, it
              > > would be with pleasure. BMD records in England
              > and
              > > can also do some research on my trips to Ireland.
              > >
              > > All the best, Liz

              > > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez
              > > vos mails vers Yahoo! Mail

              > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez

              Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid?
            • Elizabeth Augereau
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
                Hi there Tony,
                thank you very much for your help. The
                Maturin/Johnston connection is Me !!!!! With a few
                distant cousins in England Ireland and Wales and one
                in Australia !
                I'll look at the Rootswebb too.
                Someone called Joan gave me William's wife's death in
                Chatswood NSW and then her birth in Karcultaby South
                Wales. I think the Mathers must definitely have been
                from South Wales.
                I just have to find Williams death - probably in South
                Wales somewhere as his wife probably went to NSW to be
                close to son Graydon after that ...

                We were in Darwin a couple of years ago, when visiting
                one of our sons who was working in Sydney for six
                months. We really enjoyed our trip "down under"

                Many thanks for everything
                Liz

                --- Tony Johnston <johnstons_jungle@...> a

                http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT