Re: [JohnstonAustralia] Birth Death & Marriage - Victorian look up's

  • Jeannie J
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
       Tony
       You may be able to help me with this problem:

      according to the details in our Family Bible... my Grandfather:

      David Stanislaus Johnston -DOB 25/6/1879,
      Place: Langwarrin Sth Gippsland...

      I have drawn a blank .... with the Victorian Births, deaths  & Marriages... no such name or birth is registered!!!! ????

      His parents were David Johnston [ Munro] born in Greenock Scotland 14/7/1854,

      Isabella ... Irish... don't know her maiden name as it is not recorded in the Family Bible.

      Can you find out any details, please? Surely the birth was registered.

      Isabella Johnston died in Melbourne 28/10/1909- according to what is in the Family Bible.

      Jeannie Johnston

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007

        Just for your information, Langwarrin is now a southern metro suburb of Melbourne.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
          Hello Jeannie.
          first of all let me apologise for my late response due to moving house and then sent rather urgently for work purposes to Alice Springs and I had no internet access.

          Despite that, I think that I do have some positive news for you.

          David JOHNSTON (b:Scotland)
          married in 1878 to
          Isabella KIERNAN (b:Ireland)
          registration No. 1949

          David JOHNSTON
          born: 1879 at DROUN (Drouin)
          father: David JOHNSTON.
          mother: Isabella KIERNAN
          registration No. 15522

          Isabella JOHNSTON (b:Ireland)
          died: 1909 at Clifton Hill.
          age: 61
          father: Fran (Frank?) KIERNAN
          mother: Ann McDERMOTT
          registration No. 11919

          Does this help you?
          Please do not hesitate in contacting me for more information, but please try and include as much info as possible. David JOHNSTON is a popular name and by you adding in those little extras helped me to help you.

          I now also have access to Deaths in Victoria up to 1985.

          cheers
          Tony Johnston
          Virginia NT

          To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

          I am offering free Look Ups for Birth's, Death's and
          Marriage's in Victoria between 1889 - 1920.
          If you wish to take advantage of this please supply as much information
          of the name as possible as well as approximate year and town or suburb.

          There is no charge for this at all, and there is no catches. I will not
          chase you up to buy anything. I am just sick of the rubbish on TV and
          would like to do something more constructive with my computer.

          cheers
          Tony Johnston
          Palmerston NT
          p.s. this offer is not restricted to the surname Johnston(e), any
          name's will be looked up, remember VICTORIA ONLY as I do not have
          rescources for elsewhere.
          :-)

          Find out. SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth?
        • Jeannie J
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2007
            Tony
             Thank you so much.... you have found out so much more information than I could have hoped for.

            I never knew Isabella's last name or anything about her. We had her studio portrait at home. Her husband - my great grandfather - according to family folk lore was a philanderer!

            There's a mystery about the whole family because on the shipping records the name was changed from  Church register name Munro to Johnston.

            You may be able to solve this mystery - all we know about my great grandfather  is his date of birth - and there are 2 different months but the year is the same- and his date of death... but I don't know where he died.

            David Johnston born Scotland - either 14/ 7/1854 OR 14/4/1854.... died 9/10/1906....

            That's interesting about Isabella's place of death because my grandparents David [ her eldest child] and Elizabeth Johnston were living at Plant Street Northcote at the time. I do not know where her other children Frank and Helen were living at the time.

            Of course, discovering that I have Irish blood is  ironic because I have always been quite definite in my protestations that there wasn't a drop of Irish blood in my veins. I was proudly English, Scots and German.

            Thank you so much for the time you have spent filling in the gaps  for me.

            Jeannie Johnston.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
              Hello Jeannie,
                               sorry but not much luck this time.

              Checking my death index list between 1902 - 1913 for David JOHNSON/JOHNSTON/JOHNSTONE. I see thirteen recorded deaths.

              When I check the same list with those with the fathers given name as David it then narrows down to just three.

              None of these in died in 1906.

              By any chance do you have the name of the mother of the David in question?

              Feel free to make other enquiries

              cheers
              Tony Johnston

              To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
                Yes, her name is Helen Ferrie from Belfast.

                Jeannie Johnston

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007

                  Jeannie,
                  I just simply cannot find a match for this one and admit defeat.
                  He has slipped under the radar.

                  • Possibly never recorded.
                  • Translated incorrectly.
                  • Died interstate or overseas.
                  • Recorded under a different name.

                  sorry I could not help but persistence will eventually get a result.

                  cheers
                  Tony

                  To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jeanniej2@...
                  Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000

[...]

                  www.spreadthegoodstuff.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fclk%2Eatdmt%2Ecom%2FOAT%2Fgo%2Fnnmsnnxg0080000046oat%2Fdirect%2F01%2F&_t=765565283&_r=Telstra_FFF_Prepaid_Hotmail_Email_Taglines_JuySep07_Aug&_m=EXT
                • Jeannie J
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                    Thanks,Tony...another mystery in the Johnston family saga

                    Jeannie J

                    From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
                    Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000