oop's : William Johnston

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
      Sorry Linda,
      In my previous post I refered to you as Lorna when I meant Linda.
      I got a little confused with names because Lorna answered you.
      But never mind as the information I posted will be relevent to you both.
      With regards to Lorna's reply to you about having name Penman as part
      of the given name, I would say that it is most likely that you are
      related.
      I say that because of the traditional Naming Convention of the Scot's.

      Here is a quick explanation.

      Scottish, 1700 to 1800's.

      First daughter - named for maternal grandmother
      Second daughter - named for paternal grandmother
      Third daughter - named after her mother
      Other daughters were named after other family members
      First son - named after paternal grandfather
      Second son - named after maternal grandfather
      Third son - named after his father

      This policy holds true unless one family member had more assets or a
      higher social standing than the other. One unique aspect of Scottish
      naming was that if two grandmothers or two grandfathers had the same
      given name, two children in the same family would end up with the same
      name. Another practice was to name daughters after the clergyman or
      other important male figure.

      Hope this explains it.

      cheers
      Tony Johnston
      Northern Territory.

      --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "lindaw1nner"
      <lindaw1nner@...> wrote:

      > Searching for information on a William Johnston married Matilda
      Strain
      > 1900.Children were/are Mary Isabella Penman Johnston,William Penman
      > Johnston,Alan Penman Johnston.

    • Lorna & Brian Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
        Thanks Tony.  I didn't know that Queensland BDM were now online.  Also thanks for the explanation about names.  All information is most helpful.  Lorna