Re: William Johnston - try this

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hello Lorna,
      did you know that in Queensland, Birth's, Deaths's and
      Marriages between 1829 - 1914 is available online?
      You could do some basic research there and it may assist you.

      http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm/IndexSearch.htm#

      I have also had a quick look on Australian War memorial site and
      there is family there. At that site there are various places to look
      so give that a shot.
      Concentrate on -
      *First World War Embarkation Roll.
      *First World War Nominal Roll.
      *Second World War Nominal Roll.

      http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

      Also check out the Collections Database while there. A good search
      may find more interestind stuff for you.

      http://www.awm.gov.au/database/collection.asp

      Another good site is the National Archives of Australia where I also
      see family listed.

      http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

      I would like to help more but I am moving house this week and time is
      limited for me on the computor.
      Let me know if this information is productive for you.

      Good luck and be warned, Family Research is Addictive.

      Cheers
      Tony Johnston.
      Northern Territory

      --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Lorna" <snag@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      > I have a William Henry Johnston in my tree. He was born in Hobart
      in
      > 1877 to Samuel Henry Johnston and Catherine Gertrude nee TREGEAR. I
      > don't have a marriage for him but his age would be about right.
      >
      > I'm fascinated by the name PENMAN as it also appears in my tree on
      the
      > other side of the family.
      >
      > Lorna
      >
      > --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "lindaw1nner"
      > <lindaw1nner@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Searching for information on a William Johnston married Matilda
      Strain
      > > 1900.Children were/are Mary Isabella Penman Johnston,William
      Penman

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
        Sorry Linda,
        In my previous post I refered to you as Lorna when I meant Linda.
        I got a little confused with names because Lorna answered you.
        But never mind as the information I posted will be relevent to you both.
        With regards to Lorna's reply to you about having name Penman as part
        of the given name, I would say that it is most likely that you are
        related.
        I say that because of the traditional Naming Convention of the Scot's.

        Here is a quick explanation.

        Scottish, 1700 to 1800's.

        First daughter - named for maternal grandmother
        Second daughter - named for paternal grandmother
        Third daughter - named after her mother
        Other daughters were named after other family members
        First son - named after paternal grandfather
        Second son - named after maternal grandfather
        Third son - named after his father

        This policy holds true unless one family member had more assets or a
        higher social standing than the other. One unique aspect of Scottish
        naming was that if two grandmothers or two grandfathers had the same
        given name, two children in the same family would end up with the same
        name. Another practice was to name daughters after the clergyman or
        other important male figure.

        Hope this explains it.

        cheers
        Tony Johnston
        Northern Territory.

        <lindaw1nner@...> wrote:

        > Searching for information on a William Johnston married Matilda
        Strain
        > 1900.Children were/are Mary Isabella Penman Johnston,William Penman
        > Johnston,Alan Penman Johnston.

      • Lorna & Brian Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
          Thanks Tony.  I didn't know that Queensland BDM were now online.  Also thanks for the explanation about names.  All information is most helpful.  Lorna