Re: William Johnston

  • Lorna
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
      Hi
      I have a William Henry Johnston in my tree. He was born in Hobart in
      1877 to Samuel Henry Johnston and Catherine Gertrude nee TREGEAR. I
      don't have a marriage for him but his age would be about right.

      I'm fascinated by the name PENMAN as it also appears in my tree on the
      other side of the family.

      Lorna

      --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "lindaw1nner"

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
        Hello Lorna,
        did you know that in Queensland, Birth's, Deaths's and
        Marriages between 1829 - 1914 is available online?
        You could do some basic research there and it may assist you.

        http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm/IndexSearch.htm#

        I have also had a quick look on Australian War memorial site and
        there is family there. At that site there are various places to look
        so give that a shot.
        Concentrate on -
        *First World War Embarkation Roll.
        *First World War Nominal Roll.
        *Second World War Nominal Roll.

        http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

        Also check out the Collections Database while there. A good search
        may find more interestind stuff for you.

        http://www.awm.gov.au/database/collection.asp

        Another good site is the National Archives of Australia where I also
        see family listed.

        http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

        I would like to help more but I am moving house this week and time is
        limited for me on the computor.
        Let me know if this information is productive for you.

        Good luck and be warned, Family Research is Addictive.

        Cheers
        Tony Johnston.
        Northern Territory

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
          Sorry Linda,
          In my previous post I refered to you as Lorna when I meant Linda.
          I got a little confused with names because Lorna answered you.
          But never mind as the information I posted will be relevent to you both.
          With regards to Lorna's reply to you about having name Penman as part
          of the given name, I would say that it is most likely that you are
          related.
          I say that because of the traditional Naming Convention of the Scot's.

          Here is a quick explanation.

          Scottish, 1700 to 1800's.

          First daughter - named for maternal grandmother
          Second daughter - named for paternal grandmother
          Third daughter - named after her mother
          Other daughters were named after other family members
          First son - named after paternal grandfather
          Second son - named after maternal grandfather
          Third son - named after his father

          This policy holds true unless one family member had more assets or a
          higher social standing than the other. One unique aspect of Scottish
          naming was that if two grandmothers or two grandfathers had the same
          given name, two children in the same family would end up with the same
          name. Another practice was to name daughters after the clergyman or
          other important male figure.

          Hope this explains it.

          cheers
          Tony Johnston
          Northern Territory.

          <lindaw1nner@...> wrote:

          > Searching for information on a William Johnston married Matilda
          Strain
          > 1900.Children were/are Mary Isabella Penman Johnston,William Penman
          > Johnston,Alan Penman Johnston.

        • Lorna & Brian Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
            Thanks Tony.  I didn't know that Queensland BDM were now online.  Also thanks for the explanation about names.  All information is most helpful.  Lorna