William Johnston

  • lindaw1nner
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22 2:24 AM
      Searching for information on a William Johnston married Matilda Strain
      1900.Children were/are Mary Isabella Penman Johnston,William Penman
      Johnston,Alan Penman Johnston.
    • Lorna
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22 5:05 AM
        Hi
        I have a William Henry Johnston in my tree. He was born in Hobart in
        1877 to Samuel Henry Johnston and Catherine Gertrude nee TREGEAR. I
        don't have a marriage for him but his age would be about right.

        I'm fascinated by the name PENMAN as it also appears in my tree on the
        other side of the family.

        Lorna

        --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "lindaw1nner"

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22 4:55 PM
          Hello Lorna,
          did you know that in Queensland, Birth's, Deaths's and
          Marriages between 1829 - 1914 is available online?
          You could do some basic research there and it may assist you.

          http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm/IndexSearch.htm#

          I have also had a quick look on Australian War memorial site and
          there is family there. At that site there are various places to look
          so give that a shot.
          Concentrate on -
          *First World War Embarkation Roll.
          *First World War Nominal Roll.
          *Second World War Nominal Roll.

          http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

          Also check out the Collections Database while there. A good search
          may find more interestind stuff for you.

          http://www.awm.gov.au/database/collection.asp

          Another good site is the National Archives of Australia where I also
          see family listed.

          http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

          I would like to help more but I am moving house this week and time is
          limited for me on the computor.
          Let me know if this information is productive for you.

          Good luck and be warned, Family Research is Addictive.

          Cheers
          Tony Johnston.
          Northern Territory

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22 5:04 PM
            Sorry Linda,
            In my previous post I refered to you as Lorna when I meant Linda.
            I got a little confused with names because Lorna answered you.
            But never mind as the information I posted will be relevent to you both.
            With regards to Lorna's reply to you about having name Penman as part
            of the given name, I would say that it is most likely that you are
            related.
            I say that because of the traditional Naming Convention of the Scot's.

            Here is a quick explanation.

            Scottish, 1700 to 1800's.

            First daughter - named for maternal grandmother
            Second daughter - named for paternal grandmother
            Third daughter - named after her mother
            Other daughters were named after other family members
            First son - named after paternal grandfather
            Second son - named after maternal grandfather
            Third son - named after his father

            This policy holds true unless one family member had more assets or a
            higher social standing than the other. One unique aspect of Scottish
            naming was that if two grandmothers or two grandfathers had the same
            given name, two children in the same family would end up with the same
            name. Another practice was to name daughters after the clergyman or
            other important male figure.

            Hope this explains it.

            cheers
            Tony Johnston
            Northern Territory.

            <lindaw1nner@...> wrote:

            > Searching for information on a William Johnston married Matilda
            Strain
            > 1900.Children were/are Mary Isabella Penman Johnston,William Penman
            > Johnston,Alan Penman Johnston.

          • Lorna & Brian Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22 6:19 PM
              Thanks Tony.  I didn't know that Queensland BDM were now online.  Also thanks for the explanation about names.  All information is most helpful.  Lorna