Re: Birth Death & Marriage - Victorian look up's

  • kiwi_cat_23
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2007
      Thank you so much Tony!
      Fantastic to have those extra marriages. I might need to purchase
      either Alfred Carlton or Fanny Johnston's death certs though as i had
      no idea about those 2 earlier births of children. I had Jacks birth
      and then Alfred and Fanny had my gt grandfather and another son in
      New Zealand. A death cert should clarify those 2 other children
      though (i should do this especially since they happened before
      marriage) I have Alfred and Fanny's death refs.
      Gosh i'm stumped as to what happened to John Lawson Johnston, he
      seems to just disappear! I think i should get Fanny's death as John
      was listed as her father! Might just mean that the informant was not
      very good but could be interesting!
      Thank you for all that! I appreciate it alot!
      Cheers
      Cat

      --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Johnston"
      <johnstons_jungle@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Cheers.
      > Tony Johnston
      > Palmerston NT

      > Charles George JOHNSTON
      > Married
      > Ellen JONES ( I presume that this is also Helen JONES)
      > In Victoria 1858. Registration No. 1284.
      >
      > Children:
      > **********
      >
      > *Charles Frederick JOHNSTON
      > B: 1867 at Prahran. Registration No. 23976.
      >
      > *George William JOHNSTON
      > B: 1869 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 15480.
      >
      > *Alfred Whitman. JOHNSTON
      > B: 1874 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 2327.
      >
      > *Ernest Albert JOHNSTON
      > B: 1876 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 2524.
      >
      > *Fanny Louisa Dudley JOHNSTON
      > B: 1878 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 15701.
      >
      > Child of Charles George JOHNSTON and Helen JONES
      > *John Lawson JOHNSTON
      > B: 1862 at Inglewood. Registration No. 8804
      >
      > I could find no other information about marriage or the siring of
      > children to
      > John Lawson JOHNSTON
      >

      > MARRIAGES
      > ****************
      > *
      > Charles Frederick JOHNSTON married
      > Emma Louisa WINDSOR
      > 1896. Registration No. 1130R
      > *
      > George William JOHNSTON married
      > Emily Elizabeth BURGE (born at Williamstown)
      > 1903. Registration No. 1221
      > *
      > Alfred Whitman JOHNSTON married
      > Sarah Beatrice O'CONNOR
      > 1898. Registration No. 1720
      >
      > Child.
      > Charles Stuart JOHNSTON
      > B: 1899 at Carlton Nth. Registration No. 1838
      >
      > *
      > Ernest Albert JOHNSTON married
      > Susan Catherine JOHNSTON
      > 1918. Registration No. 6164
      > *
      > Fanny Louisa JOHNSTON married
      > Alfred John CARLTON ( born at Albert Park)
      > 1899. Registration No. 3519
      >
      > Children:
      > Adrain (sic) Lynell CARLTON
      > B: 1891 at Warracknabeal. Registration No. 28424
      >
      > Vernon Johnstone(sic) CARLTON
      > B: 1894 at Warracknabeal. Registration No. 7622
      >
      > Jack Dudley CARLTON
      > B: 1900 at Hawthorn. Registration No. 11598

      > I did a search of George William JOHNSON/JOHNSTON/JOHNSTONE and
      could
      > find no deaths recorded around 1906.
      >
      > If you see (sic) after a name, that is how it is spelt on the disc
      > have.
      > Tony

      > --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "kiwi_cat_23"
      > <kiwi_cat_23@> wrote:
      >
      > Hi Tony
      > How generous of you to offer look ups! I was wondering if you could
      > help me on a few cheeky Johnstons who i can not find. I have only
      > managed to get their births. I'm thinking they may have left
      Victoria
      > but do not want to rule Vic out unless i'm certain.
      > Could you please look up some deaths or marriages for the following:
      >
      > Ernest Albert Johnston, born, 1876, Vic.
      >
      > Death look up for Alfred Whiteman Johnston, born 1874, married
      Sarah
      > B O'Connor 1898.
      >
      > Marriages only:
      > John Lawson Johnston, born 1862. (can you confirm his death in
      1927?)
      > Both born and died in Vic so am hoping he married.
      >
      > Charles Frederick Johnston, born 1867 died 1939.
      >
      > George William Johnston, born 1869 died 1906.
      >
      > Also i don't know if there is any record in between 1899-1920 for a
      > Charles Stuart Johnston, he was the child of Alfred W and Sarah
      > O'Connor.
      >
      > Sorry if these are too many look ups, i'd appreciate any out of the
      > above that you can do!
      >
      > Cheers
      > Cat

    • Jeannie J
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
         Tony
         You may be able to help me with this problem:

        according to the details in our Family Bible... my Grandfather:

        David Stanislaus Johnston -DOB 25/6/1879,
        Place: Langwarrin Sth Gippsland...

        I have drawn a blank .... with the Victorian Births, deaths  & Marriages... no such name or birth is registered!!!! ????

        His parents were David Johnston [ Munro] born in Greenock Scotland 14/7/1854,

        Isabella ... Irish... don't know her maiden name as it is not recorded in the Family Bible.

        Can you find out any details, please? Surely the birth was registered.

        Isabella Johnston died in Melbourne 28/10/1909- according to what is in the Family Bible.

        Jeannie Johnston

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007

          Just for your information, Langwarrin is now a southern metro suburb of Melbourne.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
            Hello Jeannie.
            first of all let me apologise for my late response due to moving house and then sent rather urgently for work purposes to Alice Springs and I had no internet access.

            Despite that, I think that I do have some positive news for you.

            David JOHNSTON (b:Scotland)
            married in 1878 to
            Isabella KIERNAN (b:Ireland)
            registration No. 1949

            David JOHNSTON
            born: 1879 at DROUN (Drouin)
            father: David JOHNSTON.
            mother: Isabella KIERNAN
            registration No. 15522

            Isabella JOHNSTON (b:Ireland)
            died: 1909 at Clifton Hill.
            age: 61
            father: Fran (Frank?) KIERNAN
            mother: Ann McDERMOTT
            registration No. 11919

            Does this help you?
            Please do not hesitate in contacting me for more information, but please try and include as much info as possible. David JOHNSTON is a popular name and by you adding in those little extras helped me to help you.

            I now also have access to Deaths in Victoria up to 1985.

            cheers
            Tony Johnston
            Virginia NT

            To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

            I am offering free Look Ups for Birth's, Death's and
            Marriage's in Victoria between 1889 - 1920.
            If you wish to take advantage of this please supply as much information
            of the name as possible as well as approximate year and town or suburb.

            There is no charge for this at all, and there is no catches. I will not
            chase you up to buy anything. I am just sick of the rubbish on TV and
            would like to do something more constructive with my computer.

            cheers
            Tony Johnston
            Palmerston NT
            p.s. this offer is not restricted to the surname Johnston(e), any
            name's will be looked up, remember VICTORIA ONLY as I do not have
            rescources for elsewhere.
            :-)

            Find out. SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth?
          • Jeannie J
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 15, 2007
              Tony
               Thank you so much.... you have found out so much more information than I could have hoped for.

              I never knew Isabella's last name or anything about her. We had her studio portrait at home. Her husband - my great grandfather - according to family folk lore was a philanderer!

              There's a mystery about the whole family because on the shipping records the name was changed from  Church register name Munro to Johnston.

              You may be able to solve this mystery - all we know about my great grandfather  is his date of birth - and there are 2 different months but the year is the same- and his date of death... but I don't know where he died.

              David Johnston born Scotland - either 14/ 7/1854 OR 14/4/1854.... died 9/10/1906....

              That's interesting about Isabella's place of death because my grandparents David [ her eldest child] and Elizabeth Johnston were living at Plant Street Northcote at the time. I do not know where her other children Frank and Helen were living at the time.

              Of course, discovering that I have Irish blood is  ironic because I have always been quite definite in my protestations that there wasn't a drop of Irish blood in my veins. I was proudly English, Scots and German.

              Thank you so much for the time you have spent filling in the gaps  for me.

              Jeannie Johnston.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
                Hello Jeannie,
                                 sorry but not much luck this time.

                Checking my death index list between 1902 - 1913 for David JOHNSON/JOHNSTON/JOHNSTONE. I see thirteen recorded deaths.

                When I check the same list with those with the fathers given name as David it then narrows down to just three.

                None of these in died in 1906.

                By any chance do you have the name of the mother of the David in question?

                Feel free to make other enquiries

                cheers
                Tony Johnston

                To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
                  Yes, her name is Helen Ferrie from Belfast.

                  Jeannie Johnston

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007

                    Jeannie,
                    I just simply cannot find a match for this one and admit defeat.
                    He has slipped under the radar.

                    • Possibly never recorded.
                    • Translated incorrectly.
                    • Died interstate or overseas.
                    • Recorded under a different name.

                    sorry I could not help but persistence will eventually get a result.

                    cheers
                    Tony

                    To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jeanniej2@...
                    Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000

[...]

                    www.spreadthegoodstuff.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fclk%2Eatdmt%2Ecom%2FOAT%2Fgo%2Fnnmsnnxg0080000046oat%2Fdirect%2F01%2F&_t=765565283&_r=Telstra_FFF_Prepaid_Hotmail_Email_Taglines_JuySep07_Aug&_m=EXT
                  • Jeannie J
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                      Thanks,Tony...another mystery in the Johnston family saga

                      Jeannie J

                      From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
                      Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000