Birth Death & Marriage - Victorian look up's

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 22, 2007
      Hello all,
      I am offering free Look Ups for Birth's, Death's and
      Marriage's in Victoria between 1889 - 1920.
      If you wish to take advantage of this please supply as much information
      of the name as possible as well as approximate year and town or suburb.

      There is no charge for this at all, and there is no catches. I will not
      chase you up to buy anything. I am just sick of the rubbish on TV and
      would like to do something more constructive with my computer.

      cheers
      Tony Johnston
      Palmerston NT
      p.s. this offer is not restricted to the surname Johnston(e), any
      name's will be looked up, remember VICTORIA ONLY as I do not have
      rescources for elsewhere.
      :-)
    • kiwi_cat_23
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2007
        Hi Tony
        How generous of you to offer look ups! I was wondering if you could
        help me on a few cheeky Johnstons who i can not find. I have only
        managed to get their births. I'm thinking they may have left Victoria
        but do not want to rule Vic out unless i'm certain.
        Could you please look up some deaths or marriages for the following:

        Ernest Albert Johnston, born, 1876, Vic.

        Death look up for Alfred Whiteman Johnston, born 1874, married Sarah
        B O'Connor 1898.

        Marriages only:
        John Lawson Johnston, born 1862. (can you confirm his death in 1927?)
        Both born and died in Vic so am hoping he married.

        Charles Frederick Johnston, born 1867 died 1939.

        George William Johnston, born 1869 died 1906.

        Also i don't know if there is any record in between 1899-1920 for a
        Charles Stuart Johnston, he was the child of Alfred W and Sarah
        O'Connor.

        Sorry if these are too many look ups, i'd appreciate any out of the
        above that you can do!

        Cheers
        Cat

        --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Johnston"

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2007
          G'day Cat,
          I have checked my "Diggers Discs" and have found
          the following information for you. It is probably not much more than
          what you have at the moment, but I have supplied the reference
          numbers from Victoria Births Deaths and Marriages which will greatly
          assist you if you wish to purchase these. I do believe that the
          cheapest way is to obtain them online and it will cost about A$17-18.
          I do believe that if you do obtain the parents certificates that they
          do show the issue (children) on them. You will need to contact them
          to confirm this.

          In my post I did explain that my resources only went up to 1920. If
          you can be a little patient though, I am going to the library some
          time next week and they do have a disc of Victorian deaths up to
          about 1970 so I will check those later death dates for you.

          Cheers.
          Tony Johnston
          Palmerston NT

          Charles George JOHNSTON
          Married
          Ellen JONES ( I presume that this is also Helen JONES)
          In Victoria 1858. Registration No. 1284.

          Children:
          **********

          *Charles Frederick JOHNSTON
          B: 1867 at Prahran. Registration No. 23976.

          *George William JOHNSTON
          B: 1869 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 15480.

          *Alfred Whitman. JOHNSTON
          B: 1874 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 2327.

          *Ernest Albert JOHNSTON
          B: 1876 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 2524.

          *Fanny Louisa Dudley JOHNSTON
          B: 1878 at Emerald Hills. Registration No. 15701.

          Child of Charles George JOHNSTON and Helen JONES
          *John Lawson JOHNSTON
          B: 1862 at Inglewood. Registration No. 8804

          I could find no other information about marriage or the siring of
          children to
          John Lawson JOHNSTON

          MARRIAGES
          ****************
          *
          Charles Frederick JOHNSTON married
          Emma Louisa WINDSOR
          1896. Registration No. 1130R
          *
          George William JOHNSTON married
          Emily Elizabeth BURGE (born at Williamstown)
          1903. Registration No. 1221
          *
          Alfred Whitman JOHNSTON married
          Sarah Beatrice O'CONNOR
          1898. Registration No. 1720

          Child.
          Charles Stuart JOHNSTON
          B: 1899 at Carlton Nth. Registration No. 1838

          *
          Ernest Albert JOHNSTON married
          Susan Catherine JOHNSTON
          1918. Registration No. 6164
          *
          Fanny Louisa JOHNSTON married
          Alfred John CARLTON ( born at Albert Park)
          1899. Registration No. 3519

          Children:
          Adrain (sic) Lynell CARLTON
          B: 1891 at Warracknabeal. Registration No. 28424

          Vernon Johnstone(sic) CARLTON
          B: 1894 at Warracknabeal. Registration No. 7622

          Jack Dudley CARLTON
          B: 1900 at Hawthorn. Registration No. 11598

          I did a search of George William JOHNSON/JOHNSTON/JOHNSTONE and could
          find no deaths recorded around 1906.

          If you see (sic) after a name, that is how it is spelt on the disc I
          have.
          Tony

          --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "kiwi_cat_23"

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30, 2007
            Thank you so much Tony!
            Fantastic to have those extra marriages. I might need to purchase
            either Alfred Carlton or Fanny Johnston's death certs though as i had
            no idea about those 2 earlier births of children. I had Jacks birth
            and then Alfred and Fanny had my gt grandfather and another son in
            New Zealand. A death cert should clarify those 2 other children
            though (i should do this especially since they happened before
            marriage) I have Alfred and Fanny's death refs.
            Gosh i'm stumped as to what happened to John Lawson Johnston, he
            seems to just disappear! I think i should get Fanny's death as John
            was listed as her father! Might just mean that the informant was not
            very good but could be interesting!
            Thank you for all that! I appreciate it alot!

            <johnstons_jungle@...> wrote:

> [...]
            Victoria
            > but do not want to rule Vic out unless i'm certain.
            > Could you please look up some deaths or marriages for the following:
            >
            > Ernest Albert Johnston, born, 1876, Vic.
            >
            > Death look up for Alfred Whiteman Johnston, born 1874, married
            Sarah
            > B O'Connor 1898.
            >
            > Marriages only:
            > John Lawson Johnston, born 1862. (can you confirm his death in
            1927?)
            > Both born and died in Vic so am hoping he married.
            >
            > Charles Frederick Johnston, born 1867 died 1939.
            >
            > George William Johnston, born 1869 died 1906.
            >
            > Also i don't know if there is any record in between 1899-1920 for a
            > Charles Stuart Johnston, he was the child of Alfred W and Sarah
            > O'Connor.
            >
            > Sorry if these are too many look ups, i'd appreciate any out of the

          • Jeannie J
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6 4:31 PM
               Tony
               You may be able to help me with this problem:

              according to the details in our Family Bible... my Grandfather:

              David Stanislaus Johnston -DOB 25/6/1879,
              Place: Langwarrin Sth Gippsland...

              I have drawn a blank .... with the Victorian Births, deaths  & Marriages... no such name or birth is registered!!!! ????

              His parents were David Johnston [ Munro] born in Greenock Scotland 14/7/1854,

              Isabella ... Irish... don't know her maiden name as it is not recorded in the Family Bible.

              Can you find out any details, please? Surely the birth was registered.

              Isabella Johnston died in Melbourne 28/10/1909- according to what is in the Family Bible.

              Jeannie Johnston

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6 8:00 PM

                Just for your information, Langwarrin is now a southern metro suburb of Melbourne.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 14 6:54 AM
                  Hello Jeannie.
                  first of all let me apologise for my late response due to moving house and then sent rather urgently for work purposes to Alice Springs and I had no internet access.

                  Despite that, I think that I do have some positive news for you.

                  David JOHNSTON (b:Scotland)
                  married in 1878 to
                  Isabella KIERNAN (b:Ireland)
                  registration No. 1949

                  David JOHNSTON
                  born: 1879 at DROUN (Drouin)
                  father: David JOHNSTON.
                  mother: Isabella KIERNAN
                  registration No. 15522

                  Isabella JOHNSTON (b:Ireland)
                  died: 1909 at Clifton Hill.
                  age: 61
                  father: Fran (Frank?) KIERNAN
                  mother: Ann McDERMOTT
                  registration No. 11919

                  Does this help you?
                  Please do not hesitate in contacting me for more information, but please try and include as much info as possible. David JOHNSTON is a popular name and by you adding in those little extras helped me to help you.

                  I now also have access to Deaths in Victoria up to 1985.

                  cheers
                  Tony Johnston
                  Virginia NT

                  To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

                  I am offering free Look Ups for Birth's, Death's and
                  Marriage's in Victoria between 1889 - 1920.
                  If you wish to take advantage of this please supply as much information
                  of the name as possible as well as approximate year and town or suburb.

                  There is no charge for this at all, and there is no catches. I will not
                  chase you up to buy anything. I am just sick of the rubbish on TV and
                  would like to do something more constructive with my computer.

                  cheers
                  Tony Johnston
                  Palmerston NT
                  p.s. this offer is not restricted to the surname Johnston(e), any
                  name's will be looked up, remember VICTORIA ONLY as I do not have
                  rescources for elsewhere.
                  :-)

                  Find out. SEEK Salary Centre: What are you really worth?
                • Jeannie J
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 15 3:35 AM
                    Tony
                     Thank you so much.... you have found out so much more information than I could have hoped for.

                    I never knew Isabella's last name or anything about her. We had her studio portrait at home. Her husband - my great grandfather - according to family folk lore was a philanderer!

                    There's a mystery about the whole family because on the shipping records the name was changed from  Church register name Munro to Johnston.

                    You may be able to solve this mystery - all we know about my great grandfather  is his date of birth - and there are 2 different months but the year is the same- and his date of death... but I don't know where he died.

                    David Johnston born Scotland - either 14/ 7/1854 OR 14/4/1854.... died 9/10/1906....

                    That's interesting about Isabella's place of death because my grandparents David [ her eldest child] and Elizabeth Johnston were living at Plant Street Northcote at the time. I do not know where her other children Frank and Helen were living at the time.

                    Of course, discovering that I have Irish blood is  ironic because I have always been quite definite in my protestations that there wasn't a drop of Irish blood in my veins. I was proudly English, Scots and German.

                    Thank you so much for the time you have spent filling in the gaps  for me.

                    Jeannie Johnston.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 17 4:51 AM
                      Hello Jeannie,
                                       sorry but not much luck this time.

                      Checking my death index list between 1902 - 1913 for David JOHNSON/JOHNSTON/JOHNSTONE. I see thirteen recorded deaths.

                      When I check the same list with those with the fathers given name as David it then narrows down to just three.

                      None of these in died in 1906.

                      By any chance do you have the name of the mother of the David in question?

                      Feel free to make other enquiries

                      cheers
                      Tony Johnston

                      To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 17 5:49 AM
                        Yes, her name is Helen Ferrie from Belfast.

                        Jeannie Johnston

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 20 12:26 AM

                          Jeannie,
                          I just simply cannot find a match for this one and admit defeat.
                          He has slipped under the radar.

                          • Possibly never recorded.
                          • Translated incorrectly.
                          • Died interstate or overseas.
                          • Recorded under a different name.

                          sorry I could not help but persistence will eventually get a result.

                          cheers
                          Tony

                          To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jeanniej2@...
                          Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000

[...]

                          www.spreadthegoodstuff.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fclk%2Eatdmt%2Ecom%2FOAT%2Fgo%2Fnnmsnnxg0080000046oat%2Fdirect%2F01%2F&_t=765565283&_r=Telstra_FFF_Prepaid_Hotmail_Email_Taglines_JuySep07_Aug&_m=EXT
                        • Jeannie J
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 20 2:49 AM
                            Thanks,Tony...another mystery in the Johnston family saga

                            Jeannie J

                            From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
                            Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:49:00 +1000