Re: [JohnstonAustralia] find my dads family

  • Kevin Clarence
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2007
      Hi Jazaboy85, none of my Johnston relations lived in NT so can't help you there.

      The best place to start is with living family relatives and gather all the information you can get from them. Phone calls and letters only cost a small amount and can result in lots of information to get you started.  Find out how long they have lived in the NT, where did they come from originally, where did they land in Australia.  The Web Site for NT Births, Marriages and Deaths is:

      On birth certificates you'll get dates, birth place and the name of parents.  On marriage certificates you'll get place of birth and maiden names.  On death certificates you'll get death place, children's names etc and keep working back from there, but that usually involves paying money for certificates.

      Perhaps there is a Geneology Society in Darwin that may be able to help or there are a number of Forums you could join to ask for help.  http://www.rootschat.com/ is a good one.

      Cheers, Kevin
      Victoria

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2007
        G'day Jazaboy,
        I have just had a quick look in the phone book and there
        is no G Johnston listed for Humpty Doo, Northern Territory.
        Maybe you could simply write a letter addressed to Mr G Johnston, c/o
        Humpty Doo Post Office, Arnhem Highway, Northern Territory 0836 and
        this may find him. There is no mail delivery service to residents in
        this area so there is a good chance he may have to collect the mail
        from here.

        You do not say where you are from, but have you thought of visiting
        your local Australian Electoral Office?. The electoral roll is open for
        inspection at these locations. They are not available over the internet
        or via phone for privacy reasons. With compulsory voting in Australia
        there is a good chance he will be on it.
        http://www.aec.gov.au/index.htm

        The local paper is the Northern Territory News, they have a classified
        section so you should be able to place an ad. It is not a big
        newspaper, so your ad will not get lost in pages and pages of similar
        http://www.ntnews.com.au/

        These are just a couple of suggestions and I hope they help.
        good luck
        Tony Johnston

        --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "jazaboy85" <jazaboy85@...>