RE: [JohnstonAustralia] JOHNSTON(E) of Scottsdale,TAS & Gippsland, VIC

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
      Thanks Kevin,
      I have found many of the Johnstone/s around Hobart, but I cannot find a link either.
      What would probably help me is to find exactly where William JOHNSTONE was born and a corosponding shipping record.
      Then the Scotland Census may reveal more.
      cheers mate and thanks
      Tony JOHNSTON

      Johnstons Jungle
      johnstons_jungle@...

      To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
      From: kclarence@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:20:56 +1100
      Subject: Re: [JohnstonAustralia] JOHNSTON(E) of Scottsdale,TAS & Gippsland, VIC

      I also have Johnstons in Tasmania.  John Johnston b. 1810 in Scotland.  John Johnston and Jane Johnston were passengers aboard the barque Lochiel.  They arrived at the Port of Hobart 18 September 1833.  The Lochiel left Leith in Scotland 13 April 1833.  John Johnston's occupation was that of a carpenter.

      Another John Johnston ...... to John Alexander Johnston b 1863 Campbelltown, Tasmania ....... but none that match your names Tony.

      Lorna, could you please provide the URL to the JohnstonAustralia Web Page.

      Thanks Kevin

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
        Thanks Lorna & Brian,
        I have been trying all avenues to see if the JOHNSTON/S of Hobart tie in with the JOHNSTON/S I am chasing.
        I would not be surprised if they are, but if this is the case I suspect that it would be in Scotland somewhere.
        The most frustrating thing I find with family research on the internet is the time wasted going to sites that do all the promising of helping, but when you get there it's Pay up.
        But then again, persistence prevails in the many sites that are a real assistance. It's really a matter of trying to tie it all in.
        thanks again
        cheers
        Tony JOHNSTON

        Johnstons Jungle
        johnstons_jungle@...

        To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com
        From: snag@...
        Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:31:37 +1100

        Hi Kevin
        I meant the Yahoo group site through which you have just posted your message. http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/JohnstonAu stralia/  If you are a member you can view the Files section.
        I have John Johnston who was a coach builder in Hobart.  His wife was Maria Maher.  There are obviously too many of that name!
        Lorna