JOHNSTON(E) of Scottsdale,TAS & Gippsland, VIC

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
      G'day all,
      I have recently decided to rectify my lacking of knowledge of my
      family roots for the benifet of my children.
      I have little knowledge of the JOHNSTON(E) side of the family, this
      due to my mothers divorce from when I was young.
      My scrounging has unearthed a bit from the LDS site, but I feel there
      is more I can unearth.
      I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can steer me in my quest.
      From what I can gather, my JOHNSTONE side come from Midlothian area
      of SCOTLAND.
      I have listed below the basics of my search starting from myself.
      The birth & death dates shown are only applicable to the male side.

      Anthony (Tony) Keith JOHNSTON
      B:05/12/1957 Tatura, Vic
      D:Living

      son of
      Keith Edward Ivan JOHNSTON & Patricia Lorraine DOYLE
      B:?
      D:Living

      son of
      Keith Oswald Reginald JOHNSTON & Caroline HOGAN
      B:10/03/1909 Scottsdale, Tas
      D:12/01/1987 Traralgon, Vic

      son of
      William JOHNSTONE & Alice HAYWOOD
      B:08/01/1870 Scottsdale, Tas
      D:11/01/1954 Kangaroo Flat, Vic

      son of
      William JOHNSTONE & Jane Chisholm GREIG
      B:04/01/1835 Scotland
      D:13/12/1899 Scottsdale, Tas

      cheers all, and in advance thank you
      Tony JOHNSTON
    • Lorna & Brian Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
        Hi Tony

        I have JOHNSTONs in Hobart Tasmania though I can find no relation to yours at the moment.  Details are on the Excel database in the Files section of the JohnstonAustralia webpage.

        Lorna

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
          I also have Johnstons in Tasmania.  John Johnston b. 1810 in Scotland.  John Johnston and Jane Johnston were passengers aboard the barque Lochiel.  They arrived at the Port of Hobart 18 September 1833.  The Lochiel left Leith in Scotland 13 April 1833.  John Johnston's occupation was that of a carpenter.

          Another John Johnston ...... to John Alexander Johnston b 1863 Campbelltown, Tasmania ....... but none that match your names Tony.

          Lorna, could you please provide the URL to the JohnstonAustralia Web Page.

          Thanks Kevin

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
            Hi Kevin
            I meant the Yahoo group site through which you have just posted your message. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JohnstonAustralia/  If you are a member you can view the Files section.
            I have John Johnston who was a coach builder in Hobart.  His wife was Maria Maher.  There are obviously too many of that name!
            Lorna

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
              Thanks Kevin,
              I have found many of the Johnstone/s around Hobart, but I cannot find a link either.
              What would probably help me is to find exactly where William JOHNSTONE was born and a corosponding shipping record.
              Then the Scotland Census may reveal more.
              cheers mate and thanks
              Tony JOHNSTON

              Johnstons Jungle
              johnstons_jungle@...

              To: JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com

              I have JOHNSTONs in Hobart Tasmania though I can find no relation to yours at the moment.  Details are on the Excel database in the Files section of the JohnstonAustralia webpage.

              Lorna

              I have recently decided to rectify my lacking of knowledge of my
              family roots for the benifet of my children.
              I have little knowledge of the JOHNSTON(E) side of the family, this
              due to my mothers divorce from when I was young.
              My scrounging has unearthed a bit from the LDS site, but I feel there
              is more I can unearth.
              I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can steer me in my quest.
              From what I can gather, my JOHNSTONE side come from Midlothian area
[...]

              Personalize your Live.com homepage with the news, weather, and photos you care about. Try it!
            • Tony
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
                Thanks Lorna & Brian,
                I have been trying all avenues to see if the JOHNSTON/S of Hobart tie in with the JOHNSTON/S I am chasing.
                I would not be surprised if they are, but if this is the case I suspect that it would be in Scotland somewhere.
                The most frustrating thing I find with family research on the internet is the time wasted going to sites that do all the promising of helping, but when you get there it's Pay up.
                But then again, persistence prevails in the many sites that are a real assistance. It's really a matter of trying to tie it all in.
                thanks again
                cheers
                Tony JOHNSTON

                Johnstons Jungle