Re: [JohnstonAustralia] Irish Books

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      Jyc> Posted by: "Islay" islayk@...   islaymist2000
      Jyc> Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:49 am (PST)
      Jyc> Is THE GENTLE JOHNSTON/ES about Irish or Scottish
      Jyc> Johnstons? And what price and postage?
      Jyc> Islay

      It traces the beginnings of the migrations from Europe to Britain - The
      Vikings to the West Coast, the Scotii to Scotland, and the Celtic
      people moving north under the nasty treatment of the Normans, then on
      to the Border families and the first of the Johnston name. Later
      with the problems of Maxwells being unkind to the Johnstons, and vice
      versa, James VI/I sorted them out by encouraging them to settle in
      Ulster - the Plantation. Next chapters are ULSTER THE
      BEGINNING, ULSTER PRIOR TO THE PLANTATION, JOHNSTONS DEPART
      THE BORDER AND ARRIVE IN ULSTER, etc. I did think it would be a dry
      read, but it is very readbale and enjoyable, and also fills in the
      bits about WHY the Plantation came about - and why people went to
      Ulster.

      The price was $38.50 - email Des at valdes@...

      Gillian