Re: [JohnstonAustralia] Irish Books

  • Islay
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2006
        Is THE GENTLE JOHNSTON/ES about Irish or Scottish Johnstons?  And what price and postage?

      Islay
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
        Jyc> Posted by: "Islay" islayk@...   islaymist2000
        Jyc> Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:49 am (PST)
        Jyc> Is THE GENTLE JOHNSTON/ES about Irish or Scottish
        Jyc> Johnstons? And what price and postage?
        Jyc> Islay

        It traces the beginnings of the migrations from Europe to Britain - The
        Vikings to the West Coast, the Scotii to Scotland, and the Celtic
        people moving north under the nasty treatment of the Normans, then on
        to the Border families and the first of the Johnston name. Later
        with the problems of Maxwells being unkind to the Johnstons, and vice
        versa, James VI/I sorted them out by encouraging them to settle in
        Ulster - the Plantation. Next chapters are ULSTER THE
        BEGINNING, ULSTER PRIOR TO THE PLANTATION, JOHNSTONS DEPART
        THE BORDER AND ARRIVE IN ULSTER, etc. I did think it would be a dry
        read, but it is very readbale and enjoyable, and also fills in the
        bits about WHY the Plantation came about - and why people went to
        Ulster.

        The price was $38.50 - email Des at valdes@...

        Gillian