Irish Books

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29 11:34 PM
      And does everyone know about the book THE GENTLE JOHNSTON/ES which is
      available from Des Johnston of the Australian Clan Johnston/e
      Association?
      valdes@...

      I am just reading it, AND enjoying it -

      Gillian

    • Islay
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30 7:12 AM
          Is THE GENTLE JOHNSTON/ES about Irish or Scottish Johnstons?  And what price and postage?

        Islay
        valdes@ecoppost. com.au

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31 3:51 PM
          Jyc> Posted by: "Islay" islayk@...   islaymist2000
          Jyc> Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:49 am (PST)
          Jyc> Is THE GENTLE JOHNSTON/ES about Irish or Scottish
          Jyc> Johnstons? And what price and postage?
          Jyc> Islay

          It traces the beginnings of the migrations from Europe to Britain - The
          Vikings to the West Coast, the Scotii to Scotland, and the Celtic
          people moving north under the nasty treatment of the Normans, then on
          to the Border families and the first of the Johnston name. Later
          with the problems of Maxwells being unkind to the Johnstons, and vice
          versa, James VI/I sorted them out by encouraging them to settle in
          Ulster - the Plantation. Next chapters are ULSTER THE
          BEGINNING, ULSTER PRIOR TO THE PLANTATION, JOHNSTONS DEPART
          THE BORDER AND ARRIVE IN ULSTER, etc. I did think it would be a dry
          read, but it is very readbale and enjoyable, and also fills in the
          bits about WHY the Plantation came about - and why people went to
          Ulster.

          The price was $38.50 - email Des at valdes@...

          Gillian