Re: Two JOHNSTON lines in Tasmania

  • Nancy Gibb
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2006
      Hi Lorna,

      Archibald Dalgleish JOHNSTONE and his wife Agnes WEBSTER had a son
      John JOHNSTONE B. 23 June 1848 in Hobart. Nothing further is known about him.

      Thomas (Tiger) JOHNSTONE and his wife Isabella had a son John b. 27
      Dec 1843 in Hobart, but he married Jane Rebecca Reynolds. They had 3
      daughters and 1 son, names unknown so far.

      Neither could be the father of your Sarah Eleanor born 1841
      (!). They also had a brother John b. about 1803 in Scotland,
      probably Fife. Nothing more is known about him so he probably died
      young - he does not appear to have emigrated with his brothers or cousins.

      Those are the only John JOHNSTONEs in my husband's line.

      The Tasmanian Archives site has very incomplete information - but
      isn't it up to us to help them when we can? I think citations need
      to be supplied with any new information.

      Nancy

      >I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart. My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
      >her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER). I'm wondering if my John could
      >be the son of Archibald or Thomas. I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
      >but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
      >of Archie or Tom?
    • Lorna & Brian Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2006
        Thanks for your reply Nancy.