Re: [JohnstonAustralia] Two JOHNSTON lines in Tasmania

  • Kevin Clarence
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25 4:53 PM
      If you are searching Johnston in Tasmania, there is a wonderful Web Site that is of great assistance and it's free.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 25 11:04 PM
        Thanks Kevin.  I have used the site before but have found from talking to others that it's not very highly thought of.  Some people I've communicated with seem to think the information is not very accurate.  In spite of that I've found it very useful.
        Thanks again for your email.
        Lorna

        If you are searching Johnston in Tasmania, there is a wonderful Web Site that is of great assistance and it's free.

        I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart.  My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
        her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER).  I'm wondering if my John could
        be the son of Archibald or Thomas.  I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
        but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
        of Archie or Tom?

        Lorna

      • Nancy Gibb
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28 4:42 PM
          Hi Lorna,

          Archibald Dalgleish JOHNSTONE and his wife Agnes WEBSTER had a son
          John JOHNSTONE B. 23 June 1848 in Hobart. Nothing further is known about him.

          Thomas (Tiger) JOHNSTONE and his wife Isabella had a son John b. 27
          Dec 1843 in Hobart, but he married Jane Rebecca Reynolds. They had 3
          daughters and 1 son, names unknown so far.

          Neither could be the father of your Sarah Eleanor born 1841
          (!). They also had a brother John b. about 1803 in Scotland,
          probably Fife. Nothing more is known about him so he probably died
          young - he does not appear to have emigrated with his brothers or cousins.

          Those are the only John JOHNSTONEs in my husband's line.

          The Tasmanian Archives site has very incomplete information - but
          isn't it up to us to help them when we can? I think citations need
          to be supplied with any new information.

          Nancy

          >I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart. My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
          >her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER). I'm wondering if my John could
          >be the son of Archibald or Thomas. I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
          >but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
          >of Archie or Tom?
        • Lorna & Brian Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28 5:09 PM
            Thanks for your reply Nancy.