Two JOHNSTON lines in Tasmania

  • Nancy Gibb
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2006
      Hello, thought I would repost my interests. I have two distinct
      lines in Tasmania.

      1. Alexander JOHNSTON b 1829 Glasgow and Margaret LYLE b. 1827
      Glasgow arrived in Launceston 1855 from Glasgow on the 'Storm
      Cloud'. They had 4 children:
      - Charles JOHNSTON b. 1854 Airth m. Charlotte J NEWSOM in NSW - I
      am in contact with descendants.
      - George JOHNSTON b. 1855 Launceston died (drowned) in the 'Cahors'
      wreck northern NSW.
      - Margaret JOHNSTON b. 1858 Launceston m. F J A HUXTABLE - lots of
      descendants all over Aust.
      - Alexander JOHNSTON b. 1868 Launceston m. Bertha WADE - my grandparents.

      2. My husband's line - not related to mine. Two brothers, who both
      married more than once and had numerous offspring:
      Archibald Dalgliesh JOHNSTON(E) b. ca 1800 Fife arrived in Hobart
      on the 'Thomas'.
      His brother
      Thomas (Tiger) JOHNSTON(E) b. 1797 Fife, arrived in Hobart on the 'Minerva' .
      There are a huge number of descendants of both brothers.
      In addition a third brother James JOHNSTON(E) and his family went to
      NZ after a few years in Hobart, and has many descendants there
      including my husband.

      Nancy Gibb
    • Lorna & Brian Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2006
        Hi Nancy

        I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart. My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
        her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER). I'm wondering if my John could
        be the son of Archibald or Thomas. I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
        but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
        of Archie or Tom?

        Lorna

      • Kevin Clarence
        Message 3 of 6 , May 25, 2006
          If you are searching Johnston in Tasmania, there is a wonderful Web Site that is of great assistance and it's free.

          I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart.  My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
          her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER).  I'm wondering if my John could
          be the son of Archibald or Thomas.  I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
          but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
          of Archie or Tom?

          Lorna

        • Lorna & Brian Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 2006
            Thanks Kevin.  I have used the site before but have found from talking to others that it's not very highly thought of.  Some people I've communicated with seem to think the information is not very accurate.  In spite of that I've found it very useful.
            Thanks again for your email.
            Lorna

            If you are searching Johnston in Tasmania, there is a wonderful Web Site that is of great assistance and it's free.

            I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart.  My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
            her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER).  I'm wondering if my John could
            be the son of Archibald or Thomas.  I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
            but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
            of Archie or Tom?

            Lorna

          • Nancy Gibb
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2006
              Hi Lorna,

              Archibald Dalgleish JOHNSTONE and his wife Agnes WEBSTER had a son
              John JOHNSTONE B. 23 June 1848 in Hobart. Nothing further is known about him.

              Thomas (Tiger) JOHNSTONE and his wife Isabella had a son John b. 27
              Dec 1843 in Hobart, but he married Jane Rebecca Reynolds. They had 3
              daughters and 1 son, names unknown so far.

              Neither could be the father of your Sarah Eleanor born 1841
              (!). They also had a brother John b. about 1803 in Scotland,
              probably Fife. Nothing more is known about him so he probably died
              young - he does not appear to have emigrated with his brothers or cousins.

              Those are the only John JOHNSTONEs in my husband's line.

              The Tasmanian Archives site has very incomplete information - but
              isn't it up to us to help them when we can? I think citations need
              to be supplied with any new information.

              Nancy

              >I have a line of JOHNSTONs in Hobart. My Sarah Eleanor was born 1841 and
              >her parents were John and Maria(nee MATHER). I'm wondering if my John could
              >be the son of Archibald or Thomas. I know John was a coachbuilder in Hobart
              >but I have no other information. Do you know anything about the descendents
              >of Archie or Tom?
            • Lorna & Brian Jones
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2006
                Thanks for your reply Nancy.