William Johnston - NZ

  • Jerome DeGraff
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2006
      I am doing family research for my elderly step-mother who is not
      into computers and email. She has a number of photos sent to her
      Grandmother (Elizabeth Caldwell Eaton nee Johnston) who lived near
      Lima, New York south of Rochester. The photos are annotated by the
      sender, her brother, William Johnston. Her obituary referenced her
      borther, William, being a resident of New Zealand. Other than these
      tantilizing bits, there is little else to inform on this branch of
      the family.

      Elizabeth Caldwell Johnston was born 10 Oct. 1878 in Clough,
      Dunaghy, Antrim, Ireland. She was the daughter of James Johnston
      and Mary McKane. Elizabeth married James Eaton of Kinflea,
      Ballymena, Antrim, Ireland. Shortly afterwards they moved to the
      USA and started a family. It would appear that about this same
      time, Elizabeth's brother, William, moved to New Zealand.

      From the photos annotated by William Johnston and sent to his sister
      in the USA, the following information was gleaned:
      1) His wife's name was Annie
      2) They had at least two children, the older was Bettie McKane
      Johnston and the younger was Barry Johnston
      3) About the 1920s, William Johnston operated "W. Johnston Garage &
      General Store (an agent of Phoenix Assurance also).
      4) William Johnstone (also known as Wallie) farmed near Brixton.
      5) On a photo dated June 28, 1922, he is photographed as the goalie
      of a Taranaki Rep Team which played an Austrailian team in New
      Plymouth.

      I hope these distance threads of information will help to find the
      connetion between these two branches of the Johnston family.