William Johnston - NZ
- I am doing family research for my elderly step-mother who is not
into computers and email. She has a number of photos sent to her
Grandmother (Elizabeth Caldwell Eaton nee Johnston) who lived near
Lima, New York south of Rochester. The photos are annotated by the
sender, her brother, William Johnston. Her obituary referenced her
borther, William, being a resident of New Zealand. Other than these
tantilizing bits, there is little else to inform on this branch of
Elizabeth Caldwell Johnston was born 10 Oct. 1878 in Clough,
Dunaghy, Antrim, Ireland. She was the daughter of James Johnston
and Mary McKane. Elizabeth married James Eaton of Kinflea,
Ballymena, Antrim, Ireland. Shortly afterwards they moved to the
USA and started a family. It would appear that about this same
time, Elizabeth's brother, William, moved to New Zealand.
From the photos annotated by William Johnston and sent to his sister
in the USA, the following information was gleaned:
1) His wife's name was Annie
2) They had at least two children, the older was Bettie McKane
Johnston and the younger was Barry Johnston
3) About the 1920s, William Johnston operated "W. Johnston Garage &
General Store (an agent of Phoenix Assurance also).
4) William Johnstone (also known as Wallie) farmed near Brixton.
5) On a photo dated June 28, 1922, he is photographed as the goalie
of a Taranaki Rep Team which played an Austrailian team in New
I hope these distance threads of information will help to find the
connetion between these two branches of the Johnston family.