A Dilemma

  • jeanniej@hypermax.net.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2006
      Hi

      Has anyone come across a similar situation to ours when tracing their ancestors?

       We have discovered a dilemma when tracing our Johnston relatives who came across from Belfast and worked in the Sugar Houses at Greenock prior to emigrating to Australia  to work with the CSR in Queensland and Northern NSW before settling in Melbourne.

      We have discovered two sets of records - what is our Family Bible which came out with the Family is accurate in Christian names and dates of birth but not in surnames.

       According to the Family Bible : David Johnston born in Belfast 24.4. 1824 married Helen Ferrie born in Belfast 1824,  on 8.1.1844.

      BUT when a search of the Church Records was done  we were informed that on 8 January 1844 a David Munro married  Helen Ferri. Witnesses were David Mc Guire and Eliza Ferri. There was no record at all of a David Johnston marrying a Helen Ferri.

      Their lawful daughter Elizabeth Munro born on 4.11.1846 baptised that day Godparents William and Elizabeth Ferry.

      Family Bible entry; Elizabeth Johnston 4.11 1846

      Lawful son  William Munro born 25 July 1848, Baptised same day Godparents William Ferry and Helen Mc Gurry

      Family Bible : William Johnston 25 .7. 1848

      Lawful daughter Helen [Ellen ]Johnston born 25 May 1550
      baptised same day  Godparents David Johnston & Ellen Ferry

      Family Bible  Helen [ Ellen] Munro 25.5. 1850

      The records are similar with the other children

      Margaret Munro -21.7.1852   Family BIble -Margaret Johnston 21.7.1852. We know that Margaret married a Mc Ghee from Williamstown [Vic]. Her change of name is recorded but not the name of her husband.

      David  Munro born 14.7. 1854 - my Great Grandfather
      Family Bible - David Johnston 14.7.1854

      Peter Munro born 19.3.1856   Family Bible  Peter Johnston 19.3.1856

      James Munro born 18.10. 1858  Family Bible: James Johnston  18.10 1858

      The shipping records showed that they purchased their own fares when they emigrated to Australia BUT the tickets were in the name of JOHNSTON not Munro.

      Has anyone come across a similar thing in their research?

      All our records in Australia are in the name of Johnston not Munro.  My Great grandfather  David Johnston[ Munro?]had two sons - David Stanislaus - my Grandfather, [the Polish second name has aways intrigued me], Francis  Charles aka 'Massa' Johnston, the Brass Band leader who married Agnes McConichey and a daughter Helen who married William Sinclair Carson from England.

      Any suggestions or ideas will be more than welcome.

      Jeannie Johnston