FW: Johnstone Family

  • Les Hewett
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Pat Cheetham [mailto:patcheetham@...]
      Sent: Sunday, 26 March 2006 7:23 a.m.
      To: DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L@...
      Subject: Johnstone Family

      My name is Pat and I live in Sussex UK. I am searching for my maternal
      great-grandfather. James Johnstone according to the 1891 English census he
      was born in Stranraer in 1842/3, his wife Mary was also born in Scotland in
      Castle Douglas in 1842/43. This is far as I can get, they don't appear to be
      listed in the 1881/71/61 English census. I know that Mary was 40 in 1883
      when she had my grandfather John Wilson Johnstone, she also had a daughter
      Margaret born 1867, so they must have moved to England either before they
      married or soon after. Looking at JWJ little army book he also had a
      sister called Annie and maybe a brother James. . Have done well with my
      husbands family Cheetham go back to 1759 His mother was a White and we have
      got back to 1740. My Paternal grandmothers father James Nelson was also
      born in Scotland in 1822, don't know where.
      If anyone has any ideas where I go from here I would be most grateful, I am
      planning to go to Edinburgh later in the year, but I gather that I have to
      book a search place?
      Many thanks Pat

    • Lorna & Brian Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2006
        Hello Pat

        May I suggest you try the 1851 census for Scotland which is now searchable
        on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a small fee. It is free to
        register and search but you need to pay before you can view the records.

        Good luck
        Lorna