FW: JOHNSTONEs of Maxwelltown 1850s and before

  • Les Hewett
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Carolyn Nordin [mailto:carolyn.nordin@...]
      Sent: Monday, 6 February 2006 10:57 a.m.
      To: DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L@...
      Subject: JOHNSTONEs of Maxwelltown 1850s and before

      Hi to all and especially Susan who is interested in JOHNSTONEs of
      Maxwelltown,

      What I know of my line in Scotland follows:
      James JOHNSTON/E and Barbara DRUMMOND were married/banns read 1824 at
      Troqueer KKD and Dumfries DFS. They had Mary 1825, Sarah 1827, James
      1829, Margaret 1834, Ann 1835, Jane 1838 and Janet 1842 all born in
      Troqueer and James at least at Maxwelltown (I have the printout of
      the OPR).

      James the father died before the 1851 census. In 1851 Barbara 50 is
      with son James 20, daughters Margaret 16, Ann 14 and Jane 12 at 19
      Howgate Street, Maxwelltown.

      James the son married Catherine OWEN in 1852 and had moved to Canada
      by 1856 when my great grandmother Barbara Ann JOHNSTON was born.

      I will be visiting Scotland in May and the answers to the following
      questions may help with the planning:

      Is 19 Howgate Street still as it was in 1851?

      Where is the Church Yard of Troqueer? Barbara DRUMMOND JOHNSTON/E
      died in 1856 at Market St, Maxwelltown and is buried in the Church
      Yard of Troqueer.

      Is there somewhere I can find the 1841 census of Troqueer for the
      JOHNSTON family - either on the net or when I visit?

      I'd love to hear from anyone who is searching this family.

      Carolyn Nordin
      North Saanich, BC
      Canada