Working on the railways ?

  • Les Hewett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jenny Khan [mailto:Jenny@...]
      Sent: Monday, 30 January 2006 6:34 a.m.
      To: DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY-L@...
      Subject: New group member

      Hello Group

      After a break of nearly three years I am returning in earnest to my
      family study. I am new to this group and have been asked to introduce
      my interests. In brief - Johnstone, Selkirk, Porteous, Kirkpatrick,
      Dalrymple. Not quite so briefly as follows:

      I have found some hundred and thirty years of Selkirks based in and
      around Gatehouse-of-Fleet - both Girthon and Anwoth - from 1700 to
      about 1830. Places mentioned are High Creuch, Bush and Lochans.
      There are none listed in the 1841 Census. They were involved in
      farming, a tannery, inn keeping and sea faring.

      On 18 Sept 1832 at Girthon, my GG Grandmother Jane Selkirk, daughter
      of Charles Selkirk and Margaret Dalrymple of Closeburn, married James
      Johnston, coachdriver of Castle Douglas. I have been unable to find
      either birth or death record for him, an enormous frustration and
      hence my following up of the Selkirks. Jane and James had two
      daughters, Margaret 1833 Girthon and Agnes 1836 Dumfries. In
      December 1844 in Carlisle, Jane registered the birth of a son, John
      James, leaving the name of father blank but giving his occupation as
      coachdriver. ?? Nothing more is heard of the family until this son,
      John James Johnstone, journeyman tailor, married Jessie Kirkpatrick
      Porteous at Kelton on 31December, 1872. The father is listed as James
      Johnston, Foreman Goods Dept. Castle Douglas Railway Station. Perhaps
      this means that the earlier omission was accidental? John James
      Johnstone became a master tailor remaining in Castle Douglas until
      about 1895 when he moved to the Globe Hotel Annan and then to Selkirk
      where he was proprietor of the County Hotel until his death in 1903.

      The parents of Jessie Porteous, Elizabeth Kirkpatrick born Glencairn
      1804 and William were grocers in 1841 at 33 King Street Castle Douglas.

      I have had contact with Tom Woolfe in New York who has researched his
      Selkirk ancestors to James Selkirk who emigrated from Gathouse to
      America on the Gale in 1775. Unfortunately I have not been in touch
      with anyone else who has researched the Gatehouse Selkirks. Charles
      and Margaret Selkirk had seven children including three seafaring sons.

      I am particularly keen to find out the fates of Jane Selkirk and her
      husband James Johnston as well as his origins. I am stuck. I wonder
      if this is any way I can find out about his time as a coachdriver or
      later with the railways

      I should be delighted to hear from anyone who might have information
      regarding any of the people or families mentioned above and am happy
      to pass on any that I have.

      Jenny