Johnston/Johnstone Family

  • c t
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15 7:44 PM
      My great-great grandmother was Janet Johnstone. All records I can find of her have an "e" on her surname. This includes a "permission slip" from her mother to get married. I have this in my possession and I believe it to be an original.
      Janet was born in Auchterderran, Fife, Scotland, on 28th April, 1856.
      She had at least one sibling, a sister, Mary, who was born the
      same place on 23rd June, 1854.

      Their father was Robert Johnstone. I have found records with his name both with an "e" and without it.
      I do not know when Robert was born but he was married to Cecilia Methven on 13th (or 19th) Nov, 1852 in Scoonie, Fife, Scotland.

      At some stage before 1874, Janet came to Australia because she married William Henry Ogle in Newcastle in 1874. This makes her 18. The permission slip from her mother said she was over 21, so either her mother lied for her or something is wrong??

      I hope that someone can use this information or help me to find some more information!