Re - Maureen's Donegal Johnstons

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2005

      Hello Maureen, I might even consider adopting your Thomas and claiming him – LOL!!

      Isn’t it strange how many Thomas & James Johnston’s there are, having a surname that also wavers between it’s misspelling with an “e”, a “t” or without doesn’t help in research, then knowing that in NIR the surname was more populous than in SCT.  I reckon our Ulster-Scots really have a case for blame that is making it so hard for their later generation’s to find and locate them J

      Ironically after well over 20 years of research we [Gillian and I] have located this Thomas’s siblings and much of their extended family in the USA and in South Africa.  Yet our Thomas who arrived [I believe] into Geelong in the mid 1850’s is no where to be found, anywhere.

      Like your legend we have one where this bloke also arrived with a Robert Johnston too – Legend’s are just that though.

      Methinks he possibly left Larne in NIR, went to the States, either California or San Francisco, didn’t do much good and then did the global circuit into New Zealand and then maybe a boat into Port Phillip either as a stow away or for some reason didn’t want people to know he was here.  It was shortly after the Famine when he left, there were political problems [aren’t there always?] however the whole reasoning defies common logic, that’s why I’m looking at the illogic path – LOL!

      Family legend [from one of our new-found distant cousins in Kansas] was that they believed he was given an ultimatum from someone in their village of Derrykeighan or Dervock in Co Antrim, thus he departed from there for the New World….

      Ho hum……

      Best Wishes

      Don in Melbourne AU

      <Snip>