Who was this Margaret Johnston

  • Maureen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2005
      Who was the Margaret Johnston who paid the 'Deposit' for my great uncle Thomas Johnston to come to Australia?  He arrived here in 1880.

      If Margaret was married - what was her husband's name?  Was it another Thomas Johnston?

      All my Johnstons arrived and stayed in Sydney, but I have a niggle at the back of my mind that there is an "Illawarra connection'.

      1868 In Ulladulla there is a Thomas JOHNSTON marrying Margaret Jane ALCORN.  Now ALCORN is a surname from the Milford area of Donegal where my JOHNSTONs come from.

      Looking at births and marriages in Donegal I find in the adjacent parish:
      married 1807 George ALCORN and Margaret JOHNSTON
      born 1826 Margaret ALCORN to George & Margaret (did she come to AUS and marry Thomas Johnston in Ulladulla?)

      Does anyone have any information on the Ulladulla Thomas JOHNSTON who married Margaret Jane ALCORN?

      My families don't make it any easier by recycling their first names and marrying families within their congregation.

      I can't get my Johnstons out of Donegal and back to Scotland - maybe this Thomas Johnston's family has the answer.

      Regards,
      Maureen in Sydney