Glasgow to Tasmania

  • Nancy Hoffmann
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
      Hello,

      What a great idea - an Aussie-NZ JOHNSTON group.

      My great grandparents Alexander JOHNSTON and Margaret LYLE arrived on the
      "Storm Cloud" in Launceston in 1855. Alexander was a carpenter and
      precentor (choir leader) for St. Andrew's in Launceston. They had four
      children: Charles, Margaret, George and Alexander. Family names associated
      with these children are NEWSOM, CHARLISH, HUXTABLE, D'ARCHY, and WADE
      (NZ). I am in contact with descendants from all lines except George, who
      died unmarried.

      Alexander's parents were Charles JOHNSTON, master shoemaker, and Mary
      LEARMONTH, who married in Glasgow in 1815. Mary's family were from
      Kircudbrightshire. Other family name: BUCHANAN. Charles and Mary's
      children were:

      1. Charles JOHNSTON b. 5 July 1817 Glasgow m. Isabella
      MCFARLANE 1837 Other names associated with this family are YUILL, BURNS.

      2. George JOHNSTON b. 13 June 1819 Glasgow m. 1. Elizabeth
      Jane RAE 1840;
      m.2. Jessie McPHERSON/NEIL . Master tailor. Other surnames: SMITH,
      DUNCAN, GRAY.

      3. Peter JOHNSTON b.22 Dec 1824 Glasgow m. Agnes TODD
      1850. Other surnames ROSS, NOBLE.

      4. Robert JOHNSTON b. 6 Feb 1827, Glasgow m. Mary WILSON
      1869. Carver and gilder. (no children).

      5 Alexander JOHNSTON b. 25 Mar 1829 Glasgow m. Margaret LYLE
      1853 (as above)

      6 John JOHNSTON b. 6 Feb 1831 Glasgow m. Benjamina (Jessie)
      LECKIE 1856. John was a Congregationalist minister in London for most of
      his life.

      7 Mary JOHNSTON b. 1833 Glasgow (nothing known about her).

      I'd be really delighted if someone can link up with my Glasgow
      Johnstons. I can give much more detail if requested.

      Nancy - an Aussie now living in NZ
    • Lorna Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
        Message
        Hi Gillian

        This sounds like a great idea.  I like working with Excel so am happy to help. The info could just be transcribed from emails received.

        I'll leave the logistics up to someone else though.

        Lorna
        Sydney

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
            Message
            Gillian,

            I'll try and draft something up but I'll need instructions on how to upload it.  Perhaps I could just send it to you.  I'll get started and wait for instructions after you've got a few opinions from others.

            Lorna.
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004
                Hi Lorna,
                Many thanks for that- headings I would suggest:

                Name : date of birth & death : birthplace : Ship to Aust & date : where
                settled : spouse : children

                Any other suggestions, folks?

                Gillian

                LJ> Gillian,

                LJ> I'll try and draft something up but I'll need instructions on how to
                LJ> upload it. Perhaps I could just send it to you. I'll get started and
                LJ> wait for instructions after you've got a few opinions from others.

                LJ> Lorna.

                e>>

                LJ> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                LJ> Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                TERAUSTRALIS AUSTRALIAN TERRIERS - www.ozemail.com.au/~gillda/
                Life at the top may be lonely, but you eat better.
              • Carol Spragg
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2004
                  As the List is including New Zealand, would it be possible to include Nz in
                  the place where the ship arrived?
                  Carol

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2004
                    Hi Carol,
                    Yes thanks Carol, Gillian
                    CS> As the List is including New Zealand, would it be possible to include Nz in
                    CS> the place where the ship arrived?
                    CS> Carol
                  • maureen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2004
                      Could the heading be "Australasia", then in the column below, if known,
                      the port of entry? If port not known, perhaps the State, AUS or NZ.

                      Maureen, whose Johnstons came to Sydney, from Donegal IRL, in the
                      1880s - and I can't find them arriving.

                      Arriving were: father (widower) John Johnston and his children Samuel,
                      Robert, Fanny Ann and James. Another son, Thomas, was already in
                      Sydney.