Johnston - Dunedin NZ - 1850s onwards

  • s.lloyd9
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24 1:09 PM
      Hello,
      I wonder if any one knows anything about this family. My g.g.grandfather
      had 4 brothers who left Ireland arriving 1852 Port Chambers, Otago, New
      Zealand. They were all born in County Wicklow, the sons of BENJAMIN JOHNSTON
      and CATHERINE GRAYDON.
      They were:-
      1. WILLIAM JOHNSTON (solicitor) b.1820, married MARY FALCONER 1853 in
      Dunedin. They had at least 3 children.
      (a) GRAYDON FALCONER JOHNSTON b. about 1855, died 1876.
      (b) CATHERINE MARY JOHNSTON b. 1856 , in 1881 she is a governess in a
      girls school in Wiltshire, England.
      (c) WILLIAM JOHNSTON b. 1860 nothing else known.
      Mary died in 1862 and William married EUBERTINE RYDER RICHARDSON in 1863.
      William and Eubertine had least 2 children:-
      (d) MURRAY ECCLES JOHNSTON b. about 1866, died 1888.
      (e) MARY EUBERTINE JOHNSTON b. about 1870, in 1891 living with her
      uncle Dr AUGUSTUS JOHNSTON in Ambleside, Westmorland, England. Married Dr
      JOHN PRICE WILLIAMS.
      William Johnston died in 1885.

      2. REV. HENRY GRAYDON JOHNSTON b. 1823, after an unsuccessful job as a
      tutor left NZ before 1857 and married 1857 in England.

      3. ARTHUR CHARLES JOHNSTON M.A. He is on the electoral register of
      Riverton District until at least 1876 living Aparima Bridge. Can anyone tell
      me anything about this place?

      4. EDWARD JOHNSTON b. 1827. One record describes him as 'gentleman' and it
      is possible that he died soon after his arrival in New Zealand, but I have
      found a record of an Edward Johnston, farmer, living at The Copse, Saddle
      Hill in 1866. The Johnston brothers were brought up in a very large house
      called 'The Copse' which is in Rathdrum, County Wicklow, perhaps Edward
      named his farm after his childhood home or is it pure coincidence? One
      family account says that their father Benjamin Johnston was too fond of the
      good life and gambled the family estate away.

      It would be wonderful if we could find any descendants of these Johnston
      brothers.

      Sally (Lloyd)
      Blackwood, Wales