418members' interests

  • Nancy Gibb
    Jan 30, 2010
      I can trace my JOHNSTON family back to the marriage of Charles JOHNSTON and Christian EDGAR in Glasgow, date unknown but about 1795. They had 6 children including Charles JOHNSTON b 14 Sept 1797 Glasgow, died 23 Dec 1848 Glasgow. He owned a large lair at the Southern Necropolis where about 6 other family members were buried. Finding this lair and its inhabitants enabled me to make giant leaps in the family history!

      Charles JOHNSTON 1797-1848 married Mary LEARMONTH 28 Mar 1815 Glasgow. Mary was the daughter of Peter LEARMONTH/LAMONT and Agnes THOMSON.

      They had 7 children:
      Charles 1817 m. Isabella MCFARLANE,
      George 1819-1900 m. Elizabeth Jane RAE,
      Peter 1824 m. Agnes TODD,
      Robert 1827-1899 m. Mary WILSON,
      Alexander 1829-1906 m. Margaret LYLE,
      John 1831-1909 m. Jessie LECKIE
      and Mary 1833.

      Alexander and his wife Margqret (daughter of Dr. Thomas LYLE, author of "Kelvin Grove") emigrated to Launceston in 1855 on the "Storm Cloud". They had a son b. 1854 in Airth before the family left Scotland, and 3 more in Launceston -
      Charles 1854-1933 m. NEWSOM
      George 1855 -1885 (lost at sea)
      Margaret 1858-1926 m. HUXTABLE
      and Alexander 1868 -1952, artist and journalist who published two books and worked for many years for the Sydney Mail and then the SMH under the name "Spartacus Smith". My grandfather.

      I have almost all the Australian JOHNSTONs in this family accounted for, and most of the earlier families of the children of Charles and Mary Learmonth (m. 1815). But I have been unable to trace the Glasgow families further than 1911 and so far have not made contact with any living descendants there. so my hunt is 'there' rather than 'here' (!).

      Nancy Gibb (nee Johnston)
      b. Sydney now living NZ