351Re: Johnstons in Tassy

  • Lorna
    Jul 19 6:54 AM
      Thanks for that Mel.
      Unfortunately they don't appear to be connected to my lot who were all
      descendents of a John Johnston who was married in Tasmania in 1841. I
      don't know where John hailed from. The family are all on the Excel
      document in the 'Files' section.
      It's good that you have your details on the website now, someone may
      find a connection.
      Lorna

      --- In JohnstonAustralia@yahoogroups.com, Melanie Durdin <melmaxy@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Lorna, it's lovely to hear from you.
      > The following are basic names and dates of my line of the
      Johnstons. Funnily enough, I can find no trace of them in the South
      Australia passenger lists arriving from overseas, so they may have
      landed in another state, and then travelled overland or on a domestic
      passage ship?
      > My great great grandfather was Robert Caldwell Johnston, who was
      born in Ayton, Berwick, Scotland on 28th November 1851. His father
      was Alexander Johnston, born in about 1825 in Irvine, Ayrshire, and
      his mother was Martha Smailes, daughter of Henry Smails. Roberts
      father died very young (31yrs) and it is believed he came out to
      Australia with an uncle, although I am not sure which uncle it was.Â
      Robert was only three years old at the time of his fathers death, and
      his sister Elizabeth was 1 year old. Elizabeth went to live
      with another uncle, John Johnston, and his wife Jemima nee Brown.Â
      They remained in Scotland.Â
      > Robert Caldwell Johnston married Agnes Annie Olivarie at the
      residence of H.R.B. Gadd in Hawker SA, on 15th August 1881. Their
      children were as follows:
      > (no name) Johnston born 2/12/1884 at Farina, died 2 hours old
      > Robert Henry Johnston born 10/3/1887 at Farina - married Sarah
      Eileen Reid
      > Mark Johnston born 19/7/1889 at Ediacara (station near Farina) -
      married Hilda May Gill (these were my great grandparents)
      > Mary Annie Louisa Johnston born 31/12/1893 at Farina - married
      Thomas Donaldson
      > Andrew Johnston born 5/11/1898Â at Farina - married Mabel Reid
      > Ruby Florence Johnston born 20/9/1909 - married Samuel Daniels

      > I hope this info is of some interest/assistance to you. I do have
      much many more records from Scotland if you are interested, tracing
      the family back to about 1764.
      > I will certainly check out the excel Johnstons Australia, thank you
      for your help.
      > Kind Regards,
      > Melanie

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic