      Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 9:51 PM
      Subject: RE: [JohnstonAustralia] Birth Death & Marriage - Victorian look up's

      Hello Jeannie,
                       sorry but not much luck this time.

      Checking my death index list between 1902 - 1913 for David JOHNSON/JOHNSTON/ JOHNSTONE. I see thirteen recorded deaths.

      When I check the same list with those with the fathers given name as David it then narrows down to just three.

      None of these in died in 1906.

      By any chance do you have the name of the mother of the David in question?

      Feel free to make other enquiries

      cheers
      Tony Johnston

      To: JohnstonAustralia@ yahoogroups. com
      From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
      Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:35:31 +1000

      Tony
       Thank you so much.... you have found out so much more information than I could have hoped for.

      I never knew Isabella's last name or anything about her. We had her studio portrait at home. Her husband - my great grandfather - according to family folk lore was a philanderer!

      There's a mystery about the whole family because on the shipping records the name was changed from  Church register name Munro to Johnston.

      You may be able to solve this mystery - all we know about my great grandfather  is his date of birth - and there are 2 different months but the year is the same- and his date of death... but I don't know where he died.

      David Johnston born Scotland - either 14/ 7/1854 OR 14/4/1854... . died 9/10/1906....

      That's interesting about Isabella's place of death because my grandparents David [ her eldest child] and Elizabeth Johnston were living at Plant Street Northcote at the time. I do not know where her other children Frank and Helen were living at the time.

      Of course, discovering that I have Irish blood is  ironic because I have always been quite definite in my protestations that there wasn't a drop of Irish blood in my veins. I was proudly English, Scots and German.

      Thank you so much for the time you have spent filling in the gaps  for me.

      Jeannie Johnston.

      From: jeanniej2@bigpond. com
      Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:31:35 +1000

       Tony
       You may be able to help me with this problem:

      according to the details in our Family Bible... my Grandfather:

      David Stanislaus Johnston -DOB 25/6/1879,
      Place: Langwarrin Sth Gippsland...

      I have drawn a blank .... with the Victorian Births, deaths  & Marriages... no such name or birth is registered!! !! ????

      His parents were David Johnston [ Munro] born in Greenock Scotland 14/7/1854,

      Isabella ... Irish... don't know her maiden name as it is not recorded in the Family Bible.

      Can you find out any details, please? Surely the birth was registered.

      Isabella Johnston died in Melbourne 28/10/1909- according to what is in the Family Bible.

      Jeannie Johnston