1011Re: [JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar] Barefoot Running Knee Injuries: New Research Shows better Knee Protection [feedly]

  • Peter Hirst
    May 16, 2014
      Nobody's taking away your freedom of choice.  3.5 million is nothing to Vibram:  about a nickel a pair. They don't have to stop making or selling them they just can't make the health claims for them any more. Like you, they obviously don't put a lot of value on these claims either:  they got off cheap.  But unlike you, a lot of people rely a lot on claims like these, and companies will continue to make them without the discipline that unfair trade practices laws provide.

      I don't know what jurisdictions you are looking at to conclude that it is easy anywhere to get a class action certified:  ever tried it?  And as for lawyers owning the government, Vibram's lawyers are far more likely to be in that class than the plaintiffs in this case.

      On May 16, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar] wrote:

      Peter, thanks.  Are you a lawyer.  What's your own thoughts here.  I've bared my own thoughts on it and I admit I'm not a lawyer but someone who favors freedom of choice when it comes to gear.  I have always ignored claims of health benefits from a product manufacturer, because they have a bias to do selective selection and a cautious consumer should be cynical.  I grew up in the 50s when some doctors supported smoking but I was never fooled then.

      this is sidebar.  The whole thing involves something critical to hiking, leg and knee health.  I did a complex tear of my left knee meniscus in 2011 and do extensive work on my knee and leg to be able to repeat the JMT hike each year.  I follow Regenexx's blog, I think they're the best orthopedic clinic in the world, and I greatly admire the lead doctor's insight into orthopedic health.  I was fascinating to read that there are apparently scientific benefits to these barefoot shoes being found but if the doctor's fears are realized, continuance in this area is at risk due to the size of the class action law suit.

      On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Peter Hirst peter@... [JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar] <JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Roleigh: you do a great job here and on the FB page with trail related stuff.   Stick to your strong suit.  This is not it.

      On May 16, 2014, at 1:12 PM, Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar] wrote:

      The problem here is that we have a product where a subset of the class of customers have a complaint, but under the guise of a class action lawsuit, they're able to potentially destroy the product completely so that even the remaining customers happy with the product are unable to continue using the product.  This has not happened yet, but the article I posted, that doctor fears such happening.

      So you mentioned a lawyer and a customer.  But the situation here is more difficult, it involves a class, and the existence of certain states very friendly to trial class law suits.

      You do know we have the best government money can buy and among the buyers of the government are lawyers who heavily participate in the political/legal process.

      Personally I'd like to see the product line continue.  I can understand misleading marketing but in light of the latest evidence, the scientific verdict is not 100% clear yet.

      On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Mike Bake well foxfish50@... [JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar] <JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      It takes a customer for a lawyer to work.

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 16, 2014, at 8:56 AM, "Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar]" <JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Interesting to those who train in these.  Sad how lawyers might destroy this market.

      Barefoot Running Knee Injuries: New Research Shows better Knee Protection

       via my feedly.com reader

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic