Lunar New Year Workshops, Monthly Test, and more!

  • funbooksmom
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013
      Jing Ying has been very busy celebrating the Lunar New Year. Here are our remaining events:

      CHINESE NEW YEAR WORKSHOPS AT JING YING:

      2/18/13 (Monday) 7:00-8:30pm (Free)
      Self-defense Workshop for Women and Teen Girls.

      2/19/13 (Tuesday) 7-8pm (Free)
      Shaolin Fitness for Women Class

      2/20/13 (Wednesday) 4:00-5:00 pm (Free)
      Kid's Kung Fu and Chinese Lion Dance Class. Parents: This is a great time to invite your children's friends to try out a class!

      2/21/13 (Thursday) 6:30-8:00pm ($10/person)
      Tea Tasting. This popular workshop is presented by Lynayn Mielke, a tea expert and owner of East West Tea Emporium. Sample teas, learn how to prepare tea, and learn about their various health benefits. Lynayn will have tea for sale and some special brewing vessels as well.

      If you signed up for this workshop and have not paid yet, please do so ASAP. We need to know who is coming so we can plan for seating and to have enough tea.

      2/23/13(Saturday): TWO EVENTS

      11am-1pm - TESTING

      As usual, tai chi class will be held 10-11am, but kung fu classes will NOT be held.

      This is the final test to black sash for a Jing Ying student. Please come out an join us for this special event. Bring a dish to share for potluck afterwards and to celebrate her achievement! Extra goodies are appreciated since we anticipate more people.

      1:00-2:30 pm LUNAR NEW YEAR OPEN HOUSE (Free)

      Come join us for our final event of the Lunar New Year (aka Chinese New Year). There will be food, exciting performances by our students, and activities for all ages!

      Our fantastic Jing Ying moms have organized crafts for children (make-your-own Chinese paper snake, lantern, and goldfish); Bixia Pan will teach the umbrella twist and Chinese language; and Wendy Ng will explain the Chinese naming of the year in a clever, visual way (very interesting!)

      Don't forget to thank them and our refreshment/decorating team for all that they do to make Jing Ying the special place that it is. They not only donate their time, they often supplement our supplies with their own. If anyone wants to help them, they are happy for more volunteers and are a fun group to be around.

      For information and registration for these activities and others, go to:

      Web site: http://www.bitly.com/LunarNewYear2013

      Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/216075988529355

      We follow Anne Arundel Community College's inclement weather policy (not the public school's). If we have to cancel a workshop due to snow/ice, we will post a workshop's rescheduled date on Jing Ying's web site. Make sure to follow us on twitter as well for weather updates: http://twitter.com/JingYingInst

      *****

      JING YING PERFORMS WITH THE WASHINGTON CHINESE TRADITIONAL ORCHESTRA
      AND THE AACC CHAMBER SINGERS
      Sunday, February 24, 2013
      7:00pm

      Anne Arundel Community College
      The Robert Kaufmann Theater in
      The Pascal Center for Performing Arts
      101 College Pkwy, Arnold MD 21012
      410-777-2457
      Admission: only $10 (see discounts below)

      Jing Ying students will be performing the Chinese Lion Dance and tai chi along with the Washington Chinese Traditional Orchestra, conducted by Duke Tang.

      The AACC Chamber Singers also take the stage with the orchestra and will perform two Chinese songs, "A Place Far Away" and "Spring Overture."

      The concert will be in the Robert E. Kauffman Theater in the Pascal Center for Performing Arts on the Arnold campus. Admission is $10. Seniors older than 60, non-AACC students and groups pay $7 and AACC students with valid ID pay $5. For information, call 410-777-2457 or send an email to boxoffice@...

      What a great, low-cost cultural activity. I hope we can bring in some people; the audience numbers may influence future events.

      *******************

      As you can see, this has been an exciting February!

      December was an awesome month as well - our silent auction raised $6,100 for SPAN. In fact, Jing Ying has raised over $35,000 for local and international charities since our beginning!

      What's ahead for March? Our workshop with Master Wang HaiJun will be held at Jing Ying on March 5, 6:30-8pm. Updates can be found at:

      http://www.JingYing.org and https://www.facebook.com/JingYingInstitute/events

      Xin Nian Kuai Le!

      Shimu Nancy
      Jing Ying Institute of Kung Fu & Tai Chi
      www.JingYing.org
      Facebook: www.Facebook.com/JingYingInstitute
      410-431-5200

      Winner:

      Best of Annapolis Award/Best of Severna Park Award
      Best of the Bay Award/Capital Readers Choice Award
      Maryland Gazette Readers Choice Award

      Serving the community since 2000.