Matzah

  • oh_raw_is_me
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2008
      I am so pleased for this group. I know we will all benefit from
      sharing here.

      I was looking for a matzah recipe last year and found the ones that
      were referred to here, the ones with flaxseeds. While I love flax
      crackers, I am Ashkenazic and we don't eat grains or legumes on
      Pesach. Flax is not considered acceptable according to the things I
      have read and heard. I am not sure why though - is it a grain? If it
      is just a seed then it might be taken for a legume. Fine for
      Sephardim, but not me. Or am I missing something?

      I was wondering if quinoa, which has been declared not a grain or
      legume by many rabbis, could be soaked then ground and used with some
      nuts and zucchini? I don't know if that would provide any binding
      qualities or not.

      Any suggestions? Just planning ahead!

      Meanwhile, recipes for Latkes or Sufganiyot, or even Hamentaschen would
      be gratefully accepted.
    • Judy Pokras
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2008
        I've found that by putting some walnuts and sunflower seeds into a cup and mixing in some extra virgin coconut oil/coconut butter and Celtic salt, it tastes like matzoh!  I once tried making dehydrated crackers from these ingredients but they never dried out.  Maybe if I mixed them with flax seeds.  I should probably try again.

        Judy Pokras
        vegwriter@...
        author
        The Little e-Book of Raw Holiday Recipes
        editor/founder/publisher
        Raw Foods News Magazine
        www.rawfoodsnewsmagazine.com
        An online magazine celebrating raw vegan cuisine since March 2001, and featuring authoritative info, breaking news, and fun interactive features on the raw vegan lifestyle. Have you signed up for our free e-newsletter?
        Also see our blog at http://stuffrawfoodistslike.blogspot.com

        --

      • Anne Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2008
          Yes, ground flax seed works quite well
          I have also found that brazil nuts work well as a matzoh base.
          Chana Rachel Mark
          www.israelgoneraw.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2008
            Judy and Chana:

            Could you each be a little more detailed about how to make raw matzah?  I am new to raw foods (2 weeks!) and am not yet skilled at figuring things out.  Also, I think Judy mentioned that she did not have to dehydrate with her recipe, which is good because I don't have a dehydrator yet.  First I am getting a BlendTec.

            Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving (my first raw.  I volunteered to bring crudites, dips and nuts so I will have enough raw food to eat.  Luckily, other friend are bringing organic salad from their garden.)

          • Judy Pokras
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
              Hi Alyne,

              Sorry for the delay in approving this post. (This is a moderated group.)
              I was away and didn't have access to a good computer.

              I didn't ever make a raw matzoh recipe, although I noticed that when I munched on a combination of sunflower seeds, walnuts and coconut oil, it tasted like matzoh.  I did try mixing those and dehydrating the mixture, but it didn't work. I've seen some raw matzoh recipes but haven't tried them.

              I'd be interested to know if anyone here has made or tasted raw matzoh that was really good.

              Judy

              On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Alyne <alynelist@...> wrote:

              Judy and Chana:

              Could you each be a little more detailed about how to make raw matzah?  I am new to raw foods (2 weeks!) and am not yet skilled at figuring things out.  Also, I think Judy mentioned that she did not have to dehydrate with her recipe, which is good because I don't have a dehydrator yet.  First I am getting a BlendTec.

              Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving (my first raw.  I volunteered to bring crudites, dips and nuts so I will have enough raw food to eat.  Luckily, other friend are bringing organic salad from their garden.)

              --

              Judy Pokras
              vegwriter@...

              STOP GLOBAL WARMING GO VEGAN bumper sticker:
              http://www.cafepress.com/rawfoods.86920766

              author
              The Little e-Book of Raw Holiday Recipes
              editor/founder/publisher
              Raw Foods News Magazine
              www.rawfoodsnewsmagazine.com
              An online magazine celebrating raw vegan cuisine since March 2001, and featuring authoritative info, breaking news, and fun interactive features on the raw vegan lifestyle. Have you signed up for our free e-newsletter?
              Also see our blog at http://stuffrawfoodistslike.blogspot.com
            • Joan Levin
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2008

                Yes, I’d like that raw matzah recipe in detail too!   Joan

              • Anne Mark
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
                  Sorry also for the delay-----
                  You may try Robin Silberman's Recipe in her book, called L'Chaim, To Life
                  A Living Foods Passover Haggadah.  This uses carrots and flax seed.  However,
                  there are many who don't use flaxseed, as it is kitnyot.
                  I've also tried a mixture of brazil nuts and sunflower seeds with a little sea salt and water
                  It doesn't hold together really well though.
                  Good Luck!
                  Chana Rachel
                  www.israelgoneraw.com