Re: the AMAZING London Girls Choir!!!

  • rrrrachelo
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
      Apparently, a choir girl's U.S. host's mother ('s best friend's
      neighbour's cat's owner...) told me that this host was approached
      outside the concert where a girl offered $250 to buy her ticket - so
      desparate was this girl to see the show!!!
      ...Which being 4th-hand-information may even be true!

      About the video I don't know why they have to hold different
      standards to the rest of the world. Even Beis Yaacov school (a very
      frum school if you please) sold DVDs of their school show in shops
      here. Just coz The London Girls Choir happens to be fantastic, why
      should they suffer as a result?

      And I was part of the choir but stopped a while ago for 'B'H' busy
      reasons!

      --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "youngest" <youngestgirl18@y...>
      wrote:

      > wew, I did see crowds of girls wanting to come in; but I didn't
      > know how many... It's amazing how the london girls came for the
      > first time and got such a positive response!
      > I'm surprised that it's coming out on video- I really didn't
      > expect it too...
      > you're part of the chior?
      >

      > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "rrrrachelo" <rrrrachelo@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi!
      > > I'm so happy to see that some of you Americans now get to
      > appreciate
      > > our talented London girls!
      > >
      > > I'm also really happy to see that this board doesn't represent
      the
      > > average Jewish Music American listeners very accurately.
      Judging
      > > from this site you'd think hardly anyone's heard of the London
      > > Girls, yet not only did they fill up the Brooklyn college hlll,
      > but
      > > apparently around 400 ppl were turned away at the doors, on the
      > day
      > > of the show, ppl who'd travelled all hte way from Monsea and
      > > Lakewood and theyweren't allowed in!
      > >
      > > I've spoken to Dina and so I know first hand that there'll be a
      > > professional video to be sold to the public - for women only.
      > (Dina
      > > told me she wasn't thrilled with the idea of it being sold to
      the
      > > pubilc, but apparently they had some problems with N.Weidenbaum
      > with
      > > video rights, and it ended up that it had to be this way.) I
      heard
      > > they used the same video people that Miami Boys use, and that
      Izzy
      > > Toben..something of Sameach will be arranging the distribution.
      > > don't know when the video will be ready but could try find out
      for
      > > you. There are LOADS of ppl here in London who are DESPARATE to
      > see
      > > it, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long!
      > >
      > > I also know that no-one should have videoed it, and that whoever
      > did
      > > should definitely not be giving it out to other people.
      > >
      > > It's great to hear that you really loved th e performance, but
      > > please wait a little longer, and buy the real thing!

    • rrrrachelo
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
        Mindy, what are YOU talking about when you ask "what are you talking
        about?"...?

        Your mother and sister are perfectly entitled to go, I have no
        objections! And you have every right to stay home and look after
        your baby!

        What's the problme?

        --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Mindy" <MindyCL@v...> wrote:

        > Rachel, what are you talking about? My mother and sister went, BH
        I cant go
        > cuz I have a small baby, otherwise maybe I wouldve gone. My mother
        said how
        > many girls came over to her begging her if she has any extra
        tickets!!

        Service.

      • Mindy
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005

          that was directed towards your post, which indicated that no one seems to know o r care about the LGC, so I tried to point out to you that it'snot so.

          Mindy, what are YOU talking about when you ask "what are you talking
          about?"...?

          Your mother and sister are perfectly entitled to go, I have no
          objections!  And you have every right to stay home and look after
          your baby!

          What's the problme?

          --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "Mindy" <MindyCL@v...> wrote:

          > Rachel, what are you talking about? My mother and sister went, BH
          I cant go
          > cuz I have a small baby, otherwise maybe I wouldve gone. My mother
          said how
          > many girls came over to her begging her if she has any extra
          tickets!!

          Service.

          Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
        • rrrrachelo
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
            oh.

            well my point in that post was referring to the period of time from
            when the CD came out, until the concert. after Silver Lining came
            out in America we heard stories of whole schools and camps
            playingthe CD all day long, and everyone obsessing about
            it...apparetnly (we heard this from anyone English who had american
            cousins / friends etc...) it was a huge hit everywhere, there was a
            Yeshiva where boys apparently got a heter to listen to it...
            everyone was supposedly talking about it... and generally giving it
            credit for being the truly original stunning masterpiece that it
            is...
            So I came on this board expecting to meet some fellow-fans, but I
            was about the only person who posted anytyhing about it- with a few
            odd exceptions... and there were no rave reviews at all then.

            now that the concert's actually been and people have seen and heard
            the choir for themselves, it's nice to see at last some
            acknowledgement here!

          • GeT2tHePoiNg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
              well first of all you have to remember that on this board there are men and women so it didnt have so much talk about it cause alot of the people omn the board cant even listen to it...so you gotta keep that in mind,,,,but dont worry the london girls choir still rock...
              i think alot of credit also goes to that choir leader of them , she was doing such a good job at the concert she was so nice and down to earth....
            • 3 guesses.
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
                ummm...boys yeshiva got a heter to listen to LGC? what on earth....?

              • GeT2tHePoiNg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/1/2005 2:49:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, niffam@... writes:
                  ummm...boys yeshiva got a heter to listen to LGC? what on earth....?
                  ye i doubt that...i mean their music rocks...but seriously she shouldnt be pushing it so far;)
                • ukidmenot04
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
                    some ppl. hold that if it's not live then it's not kol isha...I don't
                    know about that specific yeshiva, but in general...
                    --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, GeT2tHePoiNg@a... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 11/1/2005 2:49:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > niffam@h... writes:
                    > ummm...boys yeshiva got a heter to listen to LGC? what on earth....?
                    > ye i doubt that...i mean their music rocks...but seriously she
                    shouldnt be
                    > pushing it so far;)

                  • 3 guesses.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
                      theres a diff between individual ppl and minhagim ect...(when it
                      comes to what u hold as kol isha), and a whole yeshiva getting a
                      heter. what- they were all having heart failure since they were
                      denied a desire to listen so the rosh yeshiva gave them all a heter?
                      somehow i dont think so!! i would like to hear theyre music after
                      all this though...:-)

                      -- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "ukidmenot04" <ukidmenot04@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > some ppl. hold that if it's not live then it's not kol isha...I
                      don't
                      > know about that specific yeshiva, but in general...
                      > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, GeT2tHePoiNg@a... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > In a message dated 11/1/2005 2:49:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      > > niffam@h... writes:
                      > > ummm...boys yeshiva got a heter to listen to LGC? what on
                      earth....?
                      > > ye i doubt that...i mean their music rocks...but seriously she
                      > shouldnt be
                      > > pushing it so far;)

                    • ukidmenot04
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2005
                        I didn't say there isn't a diff. between individual ppl. and
                        minhagim, only that diff. individuals have diff. minhagim. ;)
                        --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "3 guesses." <niffam@h...> wrote:

                        > theres a diff between individual ppl and minhagim ect...(when it
                        > comes to what u hold as kol isha), and a whole yeshiva getting a
                        > heter. what- they were all having heart failure since they were
                        > denied a desire to listen so the rosh yeshiva gave them all a
                        heter?
                        > somehow i dont think so!! i would like to hear theyre music after
                        > all this though...:-)
                        >

                        > -- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "ukidmenot04" <ukidmenot04@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > some ppl. hold that if it's not live then it's not kol isha...I
                        > don't
                        > > know about that specific yeshiva, but in general...
                        > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, GeT2tHePoiNg@a... wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > In a message dated 11/1/2005 2:49:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > > > niffam@h... writes:
                        > > > ummm...boys yeshiva got a heter to listen to LGC? what on
                        > earth....?
                        > > > ye i doubt that...i mean their music rocks...but seriously she
                        > > shouldnt be
                        > > > pushing it so far;)

                      • rrrrachelo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 2, 2005
                          Hey!

                          "SHE" isn't 'pushing' nothing. I was telling you what I heard - and
                          that's one of the things I heard, from more than one person actually!

                          Anyway, if it's true, I don't think it's such a big deal, seeing as
                          the music is firstly not live, it's all 'processed' through
                          microphones and whatever else they do to to get a good sound on CD,
                          there are no pictures of any of the girls, and it's mostly a choir,
                          not even individual singers. And none of the soloists have been
                          named either so when you hear soloists it could be any of the
                          hundreds of girls listed inside.