Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Blue Fringe & Dudu Fisher

Expand Messages
  • velvelblog
    Just because it s secular, doesn t mean it s good. I wouldn t listen to Kenny Rogers, either. I can see how it doesn t attract you. I m expressing pity for
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Just because it's secular, doesn't mean it's good. I wouldn't listen
      to Kenny Rogers, either. I can see how it doesn't attract you.

      I'm expressing pity for people who dismiss Jewish bands because they
      think they sound too secular.

      Try to keep up with the conversation.

      --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "avremelfan" <avremelfan@y...> wrote:
      > For your information, we own many (over 30 for sure) secular CD's,
      > like Kenny Rogers to name one. I simply choose not to listen to them
      > because I don't like the sound. The secular sound doesn't attract me-
      > I only go for....you probably guessed it. So there's no need to pity
      > me. Rather extend the sympathy on your own behalf, I see you need it
      > more. Your statements show a carefree attitude toward Judaism.
      >
      > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "velvelblog" <velvel@g...> wrote:
      > > You've taken the metaphor one step outward.
      > >
      > > Showtunes are not Jewish in any way. BF and YC were distasteful to
      > > your ears so you consider them not-Jewish. That's from your
      > > perspective of genres.
      > >
      > > I feel bad for you. You will never get to hear more kinds of Jewish
      > > music.
      > >
      > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "avremelfan" <avremelfan@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > > I'm not so sure it's Gedaliah's mask, but BF and YC's disguise...
      > > >
      > > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "velvelblog" <velvel@g...>
      > wrote:
      > > > > Even in the performance, Dudu is Jewish to you, BF and Yidcore
      > are
      > > > > not. I disagree. You're still wearing your mask that only
      > allows
      > > > > songs within a certain genre to be Jewish.
      > > > >
      > > > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "music man"
      > <tuningfork200@h...>
      > > > > wrote:
      > > > > > I was referring to the way they were performed. Even though
      > Dudu
      > > > sang
      > > > > > secular show tunes, he still retained the Yiddishe Taam with
      > which
      > > > > he sings
      > > > > > his other songs. That wasn't the case with Blue Fringe (the
      > > > secular
      > > > > songs
      > > > > > they sang). YidCore on the other hand, sang all Jewish songs
      > and
      > > > just
      > > > > > sounded plain crazy. The way they perfomed their songs was
      > not
      > > > very
      > > > > Jewish,
      > > > > > and was uncomfortable to listen to (as were BF's copied
      > secular
      > > > > songs). I
      > > > > > did like some of BF's original material.
      > > > > > ***
      > > > > >
      > > > > > I understand that you liked the second concert more than the
      > > > first.
      > > > > >
      > > > > > But it seems you have a double standard for what
      > sounds "Jewish."
      > > > > >
      > > > > > Jewish lyrics to showtunes are "VERY Jewish," but Jewish punk
      > and
      > > > rock
      > > > > > isn't. It seems like you're bringing your distaste of one
      > style
      > > > over
      > > > > > another into your judgement of what is Jewish.
      > > > > >
      > > > > > I think Blue Fringe and Yidcore are very Jewish. Just like
      > Klezmer
      > > > > > borrows from its gypsy neighbors, and Dudu Fisher borrows
      > > > showtunes
      > > > > > (blechh) from the American songbook, so do Blue Fringe and
      > Yidcore
      > > > > > borrow styles and influences from secular music.
      > > > > >
      > > > > > You should think about listening to the styles that BF and YC
      > > > borrow
      > > > > > from, and then you can see just how Jewish BF and YC are
      > > > > >
      > > > > >
      > _________________________________________________________________
      > > > > > Searching for that dream home? Try
      > > > > http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au for
      > > > > > all your property needs.
    • velvelblog
      Just because it s secular, doesn t mean it s good. I wouldn t listen to Kenny Rogers, either. I can see how it doesn t attract you. I m expressing pity for
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 1, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        Just because it's secular, doesn't mean it's good. I wouldn't listen
        to Kenny Rogers, either. I can see how it doesn't attract you.

        I'm expressing pity for people who dismiss Jewish bands because they
        think they sound too secular.

        Try to keep up with the conversation.

        --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "avremelfan" <avremelfan@y...> wrote:
        > For your information, we own many (over 30 for sure) secular CD's,
        > like Kenny Rogers to name one. I simply choose not to listen to them
        > because I don't like the sound. The secular sound doesn't attract me-
        > I only go for....you probably guessed it. So there's no need to pity
        > me. Rather extend the sympathy on your own behalf, I see you need it
        > more. Your statements show a carefree attitude toward Judaism.
        >
        > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "velvelblog" <velvel@g...> wrote:
        > > You've taken the metaphor one step outward.
        > >
        > > Showtunes are not Jewish in any way. BF and YC were distasteful to
        > > your ears so you consider them not-Jewish. That's from your
        > > perspective of genres.
        > >
        > > I feel bad for you. You will never get to hear more kinds of Jewish
        > > music.
        > >
        > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "avremelfan" <avremelfan@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > > I'm not so sure it's Gedaliah's mask, but BF and YC's disguise...
        > > >
        > > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "velvelblog" <velvel@g...>
        > wrote:
        > > > > Even in the performance, Dudu is Jewish to you, BF and Yidcore
        > are
        > > > > not. I disagree. You're still wearing your mask that only
        > allows
        > > > > songs within a certain genre to be Jewish.
        > > > >
        > > > > --- In JewishMusic@yahoogroups.com, "music man"
        > <tuningfork200@h...>
        > > > > wrote:
        > > > > > I was referring to the way they were performed. Even though
        > Dudu
        > > > sang
        > > > > > secular show tunes, he still retained the Yiddishe Taam with
        > which
        > > > > he sings
        > > > > > his other songs. That wasn't the case with Blue Fringe (the
        > > > secular
        > > > > songs
        > > > > > they sang). YidCore on the other hand, sang all Jewish songs
        > and
        > > > just
        > > > > > sounded plain crazy. The way they perfomed their songs was
        > not
        > > > very
        > > > > Jewish,
        > > > > > and was uncomfortable to listen to (as were BF's copied
        > secular
        > > > > songs). I
        > > > > > did like some of BF's original material.
        > > > > > ***
        > > > > >
        > > > > > I understand that you liked the second concert more than the
        > > > first.
        > > > > >
        > > > > > But it seems you have a double standard for what
        > sounds "Jewish."
        > > > > >
        > > > > > Jewish lyrics to showtunes are "VERY Jewish," but Jewish punk
        > and
        > > > rock
        > > > > > isn't. It seems like you're bringing your distaste of one
        > style
        > > > over
        > > > > > another into your judgement of what is Jewish.
        > > > > >
        > > > > > I think Blue Fringe and Yidcore are very Jewish. Just like
        > Klezmer
        > > > > > borrows from its gypsy neighbors, and Dudu Fisher borrows
        > > > showtunes
        > > > > > (blechh) from the American songbook, so do Blue Fringe and
        > Yidcore
        > > > > > borrow styles and influences from secular music.
        > > > > >
        > > > > > You should think about listening to the styles that BF and YC
        > > > borrow
        > > > > > from, and then you can see just how Jewish BF and YC are
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > _________________________________________________________________
        > > > > > Searching for that dream home? Try
        > > > > http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au for
        > > > > > all your property needs.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.