Keidan: Cohen Family

  • Margery Cohen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2005
      Dear Olga,

      I was wondering if you had any information on my grandmother and grandfather, both from Keidan. Lazarus Cohen and Tessie Cohen (nee Bernstein). I It may not be enough information because these are their American names. They are both buried at the Keidan section of the cemetery in New York.

      Thanks,

      Margery Cohen, New York City
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2005
        Dear Margery,

        In my surname index to the Keidan birth records translated to date,
        there are 5 Bernshteyn/Berinshteyn birth records and 69 Cohen/Kagan
        birth records (Kagan=Cohen when transliterated from the Russian).
        Clearly there was a very large Cohen family in Keidan, although I
        cannot say that they were all necessarily from the same family.

        Unfortunately my surname index is just that--surnames. For reasons
        that are too complicated to explain here, I cannot include given
        names in my index. I compiled this index so that people can ask me
        if the surnames they are researching are represented. I cannot
        search for given names also because there are already thousands of
        translated birth records in my database and these are not in
        alphabetical order. The records are in chronological order and are
        grouped by year.

        If you want to know more about the LitvakSIG Vital Records Project,
        please go to the webpage below:

        http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeol99x/

        If you wish to become a member of the Keidan VRI group by making a
        contribution, you can find these details on the website, or you can
        write to me at ozabludoff@...

        A $100 donation entitles you to receive all the translated records
        to date as well as all those that will be translated in the future--
        about 18,000 Keidan records in total (birth, marriage, divorce,
        death). A lesser contribution is greatly appreciated since it
        furthers the translation effort. All the translated records will be
        posted on the LitvakSIG All Lithuania Database hosted by JewishGen
        http://www.jewishgen.org
        But there is a delay of about one year from the time the records are
        completed until they are posted on the ALD.

        Olga

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Margery Cohen" <margery@i...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Olga,
        >
        > I was wondering if you had any information on my grandmother and
        grandfather, both from Keidan. Lazarus Cohen and Tessie Cohen (nee
        Bernstein). I It may not be enough information because these are
        their American names. They are both buried at the Keidan section of
        the cemetery in New York.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Margery Cohen, New York City

        home insurance company American family home owner insurance
        > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family home
        finance

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "JewishKeidan" on the web.

        Service.

      • Margery Cohen
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2005
          Thank-you, Olga for the information.

          wrote:

          > Dear Olga,
          >
          > I was wondering if you had any information on my grandmother and
          grandfather, both from Keidan. Lazarus Cohen and Tessie Cohen (nee
          Bernstein). I It may not be enough information because these are
          their American names. They are both buried at the Keidan section of
          the cemetery in New York.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Margery Cohen, New York City

          Service.