Stung/Smit familes

  • Dr Asherson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2005
      Does anyone have any information regarding any survivors of these families.
      ?? The Stung family was very large indeed.they all seem to have vanished ?in
      the holocaust as have all the memebers of the Smit family .Dr Ronald
      Asherson, South Africa
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 24, 2005
        Dear Ronald,

        I am just now catching up on posts to the Keidan group.

        Regarding the Stung and Smit families, while I do not have any
        information on survivors with these surnames, I do have large
        numbers of birth records for members of this Keidan family (28 STUNG
        birth records, and 13 SMIT records).

        I am the Keidan coordinator for the LitvakSIG Vital Records Project.
        We have already translated and distributed 31 years of Keidan birth
        records. More are coming (there are 50 years in total), to be
        followed by marriage, divorce and death records.

        If you are interested in learning more about the Keidan VRI project
        and how to acquire the translated vital records, please contact me
        at ozabludoff@...

        Olga Zabludoff
        Keidan VRI coordinator

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@i...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone have any information regarding any survivors of these
        families.
        > ?? The Stung family was very large indeed.they all seem to have
        vanished ?in
        > the holocaust as have all the memebers of the Smit family .Dr
        Ronald
        > Asherson, South Africa

      • Gus Levy
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 28, 2005
          The only one I can think of is Barnett (Barney) Smith. He married my
          Grandmother's sister. IDA. Ida's, and my Grandmother, Breina Taube's maiden
          name was ZALMANOVICH (Americanized to SELMAN). The Smith's settled many
          years ago in Spring Valley, New York, running a dry goods store. Curiously,
          IDA's brother also opened a similar store, and there was quite a feud.
          Happily, it did not extend to the children.

          This is a "shot in the dark" - - - perhaps it can lead to further paths.

          GERSON LEVY.

          > Does anyone have any information regarding any survivors of these
          > families.
          > ?? The Stung family was very large indeed.they all seem to have vanished
          > ?in
          > the holocaust as have all the memebers of the Smit family .Dr Ronald
          > Asherson, South Africa
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dpemstein
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
            Ronald:

            I have a record of an Annie (possibly born Hana or Henke) Smit, born
            between 1875 and 1881 in Keidan to Yosef Smit and Goldie Krost.
            According to my records, Annie had two sisters, one named Etka; the
            other's name is unknown. Their father Yosef emigrated to South
            Africa. Annie married Shaul Shmuel ("Samuel") Betten, who was born
            about 1877 in nearby Seta (Shat). Samuel and his parents and
            siblings emigrated to the USA in 1900 (via Liverpool and Quebec) and
            settled in Worcester, Massachusetts (Annie may have arrived later; I
            don't have an immigration record for her). One of my sources claims
            that Annie and Samuel were married in Keidan and Samuel moved there
            before emigrating; however, I have their October 1904 marriage record
            in Worcester, so they may have met there.

            Annie and Samuel moved to the Bronx around 1910, apparently because
            Annie had asthma and was told that the air quality was better
            there (!). I'm told that Samuel later became the secretary of the
            Keidaner Association in New York. They had four children, one of
            whom was alive in NYC as of a couple years ago. Annie died in the
            Bronx around 1948.

            Hope this helps. (By the way, I understand the Krost family has been
            extensively researched; I have no records myself, but maybe someone
            else can help you with that side of the family.)

            Samuel Betten's mother, Leah Dina Pimshteyn (1857-1902), was my great-
            grandfather's sister. If anyone has information on the Pimshteyn
            family of Keidan, Jonava and the area, I'd appreciate it.

            David Pemstein
            Boston, MA USA
            researching PIMSHTEYN and variants

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
              Dear David:

              You asked whether anyone had information on the PIMSHTEYN family of
              Keidan. There are 13 Pimshteyn birth records so far in my surname
              index. There are also 2 BETEN birth records and 34 KROST birth
              records.

              Please go to the LitvakSIG Vital Records Indexing Project at

              http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeol99x/

              if you are not familiar with this project. We are nearing completion
              of all the translated Keidan birth records and shall be starting on
              the marriage records soon. These will be followed by divorce and
              death records.

              Ronald knows of the large number of STUNG and SMIDT birth records in
              our database.

              Olga Zabludoff
              Keidan VRI Coordinator

              --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "dpemstein" <dpemstein@r...>
              wrote:

              > Ronald:
              >
              > I have a record of an Annie (possibly born Hana or Henke) Smit,
              born
              > between 1875 and 1881 in Keidan to Yosef Smit and Goldie Krost.
              > According to my records, Annie had two sisters, one named Etka;
              the
              > other's name is unknown. Their father Yosef emigrated to South
              > Africa. Annie married Shaul Shmuel ("Samuel") Betten, who was
              born
              > about 1877 in nearby Seta (Shat). Samuel and his parents and
              > siblings emigrated to the USA in 1900 (via Liverpool and Quebec)
              and
              > settled in Worcester, Massachusetts (Annie may have arrived later;
              > don't have an immigration record for her). One of my sources
              claims
              > that Annie and Samuel were married in Keidan and Samuel moved
              there
              > before emigrating; however, I have their October 1904 marriage
              record
              > in Worcester, so they may have met there.
              >
              > Annie and Samuel moved to the Bronx around 1910, apparently
              because
              > Annie had asthma and was told that the air quality was better
              > there (!). I'm told that Samuel later became the secretary of the
              > Keidaner Association in New York. They had four children, one of
              > whom was alive in NYC as of a couple years ago. Annie died in the
              > Bronx around 1948.
              >
              > Hope this helps. (By the way, I understand the Krost family has
              been
              > extensively researched; I have no records myself, but maybe
              someone
              > else can help you with that side of the family.)
              >
              > Samuel Betten's mother, Leah Dina Pimshteyn (1857-1902), was my
              great-
              > grandfather's sister. If anyone has information on the Pimshteyn
              > family of Keidan, Jonava and the area, I'd appreciate it.
              >
              > David Pemstein
              > Boston, MA USA
              > researching PIMSHTEYN and variants
              >

              > --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@i...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone have any information regarding any survivors of
              these
              > families.
              > > ?? The Stung family was very large indeed.they all seem to have
              > vanished ?in
              > > the holocaust as have all the memebers of the Smit family .Dr
              Ronald
              > > Asherson, South Africa

            • Dr Asherson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
                Many thanks..this is the family of Joanne Betten -Kaplan whom I met sedveral
                months ago in San Diego....they will be most intrested.. I shall forward
                your email to her. Our Smit famioly must come from an earlier time...my
                ggrandmother was Enta or Yetta and HER father was Joseph too. What we think
                is that the Joseph you mention may have been the grandson of Yetta's
                father...as we are often nnamed after our deceased grandparents.....my
                ggrandmother would have been born circa 1840 as she died in london in the
                1920's.She had one sister. She should appear on the earlier Keidan
                records.Yetta /Enta married Isher Stung/Shtung who was the only sibling in
                his family... he died young... hence the name phonetically Asherson (=
                isherstung)...Many thanks.. Dr Ronald Asherson, South Africa
              • Dr Asherson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
                  Joanne... here is latest info about your family..... we seem to come from a
                  generation back as we discussed....although the name Etka (Annie's sister)
                  is of great interest as it is very similar to Enta my ggrandmother.. Warm
                  egards Ron
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
                      There is a Pimstein family in South Africa...I assume this is the same name
                      ?? Ronald Asherson

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Yes, Ronald, PIMSTEIN is the Anglicized version of the name PIMSHTEYN
                          in the Old Country.

                          Olga

                          --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@i...> wrote:

                          > There is a Pimstein family in South Africa...I assume this is the
                          same name
                          > ?? Ronald Asherson

                        • Dr Asherson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
                            Yes , small world indeed, particularly Keidan ! Dr Ronald Asherson

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 25, 2006

                              If an organ transplant was needed, a Keidaner descendent might find a match in another Keidaner descendent!

                              From: Josh Weinstein <jgw111@...>
                              To: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:02:46 -0800 (PST)

                              Ron, Interesting information. It is extremely likely
                              that my dad knew Sam Betten. In 1938 my dad Ben
                              (Barnet) Weinstein and Sam Betten  both held office in
                              the Keidaner Society of New York.

                                                                          Josh
                              Weinstein
                              (For other viewers, Dr. Asherson and I (and my dad)
                              have dna matches on our paternal line. A match implies
                              that we likely had a common ancestor around two
                              centuries ago. We have looked for "missing links" but
                              to no avail. However remote Sam Betten is the first
                              identified person with links to both families.
                              Hopefully, this is a sgn that there may be more
                              links.)

                              American family home insuranceAmerican family home insurance companyAmerican family home owner insurance
                              Multi family home for saleSingle family home for saleFamily home finance

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS