Re: [JewishKeidan] NYC events [2 Attachments]

  • Alice Borden
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 11, 2012
      Martin Kagan was my father’s cousin.Although I was too young when he arrived. My parents lived in the same apartment building and went to greet him when he arrived. He lived with Sol Kane in the that same building. We all lived there and saw Martin everyday as I was growing up and was the baby sitter for his son David. I have so many memories of the talks we had. Alice

      Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:39 AM
      Subject: Re: [JewishKeidan] NYC events [2 Attachments]

      Shalom Avshi,
      Martin (Moshe) is my mother's cousin. He lives in NYC and is 91 years old. A very special person. I attach a photo of him that I took in July 2011 and a painted over photo from his HH days.
      Best wishes
      Leon Goldsmith

      2012/1/11 אבשי <avshi_h@...>

      HI ANDY.

      (AS I KNOW) MOSHE KAGAN LEFT KEIDAN AS THE GERMANS WENT IN. THEN HE RUN TO
      THE “KEN” HASHOMER HATZAIR – BROCKED A WINDOW & TOOK ON HIS BODY THE H.H.
      FLAG & WENT A VERY RISKY WAY TO SWEDEN, FROM THERE HE ARRIVED TO U.S.A, HE
      WAS 17? & HE SERVED YEARS BY THE U.S. ARMY (ARTILERY). ONE DAY HE BROUGHT
      THE FLAG FROM KEIDAN TO ISRAEL (THE ONLY SINGLE H.H. FLAG FROM ALL LITUENIA
      THAT SURVIVE THE SHOA). YOU CAN SEE THE FLAG IN “MORESHET HOUSE” IN
      GIVAT-HAVIVA IL. I THINK MOSHE LIVE IN ATLANTA (I WISH HIM ALL THE BEST).
      THE SECOUND KEIDANER I KNOW – YEHUDA RONDER LIVE NOW – IN WILNA (WILNOUS). I
      HOPE THE YEHUDA’S STORY YOU CAN READ AS THE BOOK TRANSLATED.

      A.T.B. AVSHI

      מאת: mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com] בשם
      awcassel
      נשלח: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:38 PM
      אל: mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com
      נושא: [JewishKeidan] NYC events

      Sharon, we are working to reschedule the Keidan yortzayt commemoration that
      was postponed be last August's hurricane; we tentatively have April 22 at
      2pm reserved at the same place, the Jewish museum in lower Manhattan. I'll
      be in touch with details before long.

      His health permitting, Martin Kagan will chair that gathering. As you may
      know, Martin grew up in Keidan and headed the Hashomer Hatzair branch there,
      before coming to New York in 1939. The rest of his immediate family perished
      in the Shoah.

      All best

      --- In mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com>

      , Sharon <sharonsilber@...> wrote:

      > What presentation at Yivo are you referring to? Also, is there any plan to
      reschedule the Keidan listserve get-together? Are there people who are still
      alive who grew up in Keidan? Are any in NYC?