Re: [JewishKeidan] Re: Yizkor book - another new translation online

  • Ken & Gladys Camber
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2012

      Hi Josh,
           I have been working on the Kamber-Sirk genealogy with Paula Eisenstein Baker, who (as I think you know, Josh) is the granddaughter of Bernard G. Richards.  It was by permission of Paula's mother, Ruth Eisenstein, that the article was re-printed in the Yizkor Book.
           Since it is Paula's family which is the subject of that part of the book, it probably would be most appropriate for me to defer to any comments she might like to make on her family.  However, there is some active research going on with regard to the Kamber-Sirk family connection which reflects the family details set forth in the Yizkor Book.
              Ken Camber
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 9, 2012
        Thanks Josh and Ken for the input.

      • Sharon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2012
          Don't know anything about Kambers and Sirks but Rabinovich is a family to which my own (Shternfeld/Silber/Lurie of Keidan) is related by marriage. My grandmother Roze Shternfeld Silber's (or Zilberas as it was in Lithuania) oldest sister Chana (ne Shternfeld) was married to Sholem Rabinovich of Keidan. They had at least 3 children, Israel b 1879, Rashe b 1881 and Shimon b. 1889 who married Rebecca Brot and was an electrician in Kaunas, where I believe, most of the family eventually moved. Though many were killed, one of their offspring ran a cheese and fine food shop in Kaunas and she was able to place her 2 daughters with the nuns who brought cheese from them.  I was visited in NY by an offspring of theirs years ago and I am regretful that I lost his contact info  (I can't remember the exact name it is something like Parsons or Parcelis, his first name is Alex, he is a dentist and lives in Israel with his wife and two (last I heard) children, have asked my mom, but she cannot quite remember either), would love to be back in contact with him.

          Also my father Joseph Silber (Joselis Zilberas) was born in Keidan in 1915 and raised there. He was deported to prison camp for Zionist activity in spring of 1941 (I think), after completing medical school in Kaunas and so escaped the fate of the rest of the Keidan jews, serving the majority of the war as a field doctor for a Russian tank brigade, which eventually liberated Lodz and other cities. If there are any others on this group who have older relatives still alive who lived in Keidan in the 1920s and 1930s and might have known him, I would be most grateful for any contacts/information as well. I am in contact with families of his medical school classmates who emigrated to the US after the war (none from Keidan but all life-long friends of his). He died in 2007.

          P.S.  Perhaps the Kambers were related to Richard's father's Rabinovich family.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2012
            Ken,
                       Thanks for the info.  I hope to meet Paula in New York  when she gives her presentation at YIVO.

            �Josh

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
              What presentation at Yivo are you referring to? Also, is there any plan to reschedule the Keidan listserve get-together? Are there people who are still alive who grew up in Keidan? Are any in NYC?

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                Sharon, we are working to reschedule the Keidan yortzayt commemoration that was postponed be last August's hurricane; we tentatively have April 22 at 2pm reserved at the same place, the Jewish museum in lower Manhattan. I'll be in touch with details before long.

                His health permitting, Martin Kagan will chair that gathering. As you may know, Martin grew up in Keidan and headed the Hashomer Hatzair branch there, before coming to New York in 1939. The rest of his immediate family perished in the Shoah.

                All best

                --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sharon <sharonsilber@...> wrote:

                > What presentation at Yivo are you referring to? Also, is there any plan to reschedule the Keidan listserve get-together? Are there people who are still alive who grew up in Keidan? Are any in NYC?

              • alexandre kaplan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                  Dears members,
                  I would like to remember you that January 20th 2012 is the 70th anniversary of  Wansee conference.

                  Best Regards

                  Alex Kaplan

                  --
                  Cordialement

                  Alexandre Kaplan

                • Josh Weinstein
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                    For those interested in Jewish culture, Professor Paula Eisenstein Baker will be presenting on the works of the neglected Russian Jewish composer Leo Zeitlin. The presentation will be at YIVO in New York on Feb 9 at  7 pm.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                      Sharon, my mistake---- Richard's surname was Rubinovich not Rabinovich.   The Rubinovichs were not from Keidan.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 11, 2012
                        HI ANDY.

                        (AS I KNOW) MOSHE KAGAN LEFT KEIDAN AS THE GERMANS WENT IN. THEN HE RUN TO
                        THE “KEN” HASHOMER HATZAIR – BROCKED A WINDOW & TOOK ON HIS BODY THE H.H.
                        FLAG & WENT A VERY RISKY WAY TO SWEDEN, FROM THERE HE ARRIVED TO U.S.A, HE
                        WAS 17? & HE SERVED YEARS BY THE U.S. ARMY (ARTILERY). ONE DAY HE BROUGHT
                        THE FLAG FROM KEIDAN TO ISRAEL (THE ONLY SINGLE H.H. FLAG FROM ALL LITUENIA
                        THAT SURVIVE THE SHOA). YOU CAN SEE THE FLAG IN “MORESHET HOUSE” IN
                        GIVAT-HAVIVA IL. I THINK MOSHE LIVE IN ATLANTA (I WISH HIM ALL THE BEST).
                        THE SECOUND KEIDANER I KNOW – YEHUDA RONDER LIVE NOW – IN WILNA (WILNOUS). I
                        HOPE THE YEHUDA’S STORY YOU CAN READ AS THE BOOK TRANSLATED.

                        A.T.B. AVSHI

                        מאת: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com [mailto:JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com] בשם
                        awcassel
                        נשלח: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:38 PM
                        אל: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
                        נושא: [JewishKeidan] NYC events

                        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com <mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com>
                        , Sharon <sharonsilber@...> wrote:

                        > What presentation at Yivo are you referring to? Also, is there any plan to
                        reschedule the Keidan listserve get-together? Are there people who are still
                        alive who grew up in Keidan? Are any in NYC?

                      • leon goldsmith
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 11, 2012
                        Shalom Avshi,
                        Martin (Moshe) is my mother's cousin. He lives in NYC and is 91 years old. A very special person. I attach a photo of him that I took in July 2011 and a painted over photo from his HH days.
                        Best wishes
                        Leon Goldsmith

                        , Sharon <sharonsilber@...> wrote:

                        > What presentation at Yivo are you referring to? Also, is there any plan to
                        reschedule the Keidan listserve get-together? Are there people who are still
                        alive who grew up in Keidan? Are any in NYC?

                      • Alice Borden
                        Message 12 of 16 , Mar 11 11:33 AM
                          Martin Kagan was my father’s cousin.Although I was too young when he arrived. My parents lived in the same apartment building and went to greet him when he arrived. He lived with Sol Kane in the that same building. We all lived there and saw Martin everyday as I was growing up and was the baby sitter for his son David. I have so many memories of the talks we had. Alice

                          Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:39 AM
                          Subject: Re: [JewishKeidan] NYC events [2 Attachments]

                          2012/1/11 אבשי <avshi_h@...>

                          HI ANDY.

                          (AS I KNOW) MOSHE KAGAN LEFT KEIDAN AS THE GERMANS WENT IN. THEN HE RUN TO
                          THE “KEN” HASHOMER HATZAIR – BROCKED A WINDOW & TOOK ON HIS BODY THE H.H.
                          FLAG & WENT A VERY RISKY WAY TO SWEDEN, FROM THERE HE ARRIVED TO U.S.A, HE
                          WAS 17? & HE SERVED YEARS BY THE U.S. ARMY (ARTILERY). ONE DAY HE BROUGHT
                          THE FLAG FROM KEIDAN TO ISRAEL (THE ONLY SINGLE H.H. FLAG FROM ALL LITUENIA
                          THAT SURVIVE THE SHOA). YOU CAN SEE THE FLAG IN “MORESHET HOUSE” IN
                          GIVAT-HAVIVA IL. I THINK MOSHE LIVE IN ATLANTA (I WISH HIM ALL THE BEST).
                          THE SECOUND KEIDANER I KNOW – YEHUDA RONDER LIVE NOW – IN WILNA (WILNOUS). I
                          HOPE THE YEHUDA’S STORY YOU CAN READ AS THE BOOK TRANSLATED.

                          A.T.B. AVSHI

                          מאת: mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com] בשם
                          awcassel
                          נשלח: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:38 PM
                          אל: mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com
                          נושא: [JewishKeidan] NYC events

                          Sharon, we are working to reschedule the Keidan yortzayt commemoration that
                          was postponed be last August's hurricane; we tentatively have April 22 at
                          2pm reserved at the same place, the Jewish museum in lower Manhattan. I'll
                          be in touch with details before long.

                          His health permitting, Martin Kagan will chair that gathering. As you may
                          know, Martin grew up in Keidan and headed the Hashomer Hatzair branch there,
                          before coming to New York in 1939. The rest of his immediate family perished
                          in the Shoah.

                          All best

                          --- In mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:JewishKeidan%40yahoogroups.com>