Keidan Yizkor Book - new translation

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2012
      My sincere thanks to all those who responded so quickly with donations to the Keidan Memorial Fund, to complete the translation of the 1977 Yizkor Book. I'm delighted to say we've raised around $600 so far -- enough to get us started at least. And indeed we are off and running: The first article to come back from the translator is now posted on the Yizkor Book website. It's a lovely memoir of Hashomer Hatzair, the very influential Zionist youth movement whose Keidan branch was a very important part of life there in the interwar period. You can read the piece on line here:

      http://home.comcast.net/~acassel/keidan/yizkor/hashomer_p79.html

      More will be coming soon. I hope more of you will also help fund this project, which I estimate will take somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 to complete. Meanwhile, please feel free to send along any questions or suggestions regarding the book and its translation. All the best,

      Andy Cassel
    • אבשי
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012

      HI ANDY.

      ABA YONA GOLANI – MY UNCLE )MY MOTHER SIDE) – ORIGINE FAM. NAME = GOLTZIN. I TRY TO ATTACH 2 PIC. 1. YONA WITH HIS WIFE SHENKA IN BET ZERA 1934? 2. PART OF GOLTZIN FAM. IN KEIDAN 1931? YONA STAND RIGHT, NEAR HIM – DAVID PRUSAK (RABI FEINSILBER SECRETER) +GITLE MY TANTE. THE BOY ON THE RIGHT – YOSEF-YOSSI GOLTZIN – THE LAST HASHOMER HZAIR LEADER IN KEIDAN.

      I HOPE YOU CAN SEE THE PIC. I HAVE MANY OLD FHOTOS FROM KEIDAN IN CASE SOMEBODY INTERESTING.

      AVSHI HITTIN BET ZERA IL

      מאת: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com [mailto:JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com] בשם awcassel
      נשלח: Friday, January 06, 2012 5:45 AM
      אל: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
      נושא: [JewishKeidan] Keidan Yizkor Book - new translation

      Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
        Thank you, Avshi! This is wonderful. I'll put these photos on the website soon. Meanwhile -- do you know what became of Volodka Funt, the boy who ran away to the training farm?

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, àáùé <avshi_h@...> wrote:

        > HI ANDY.
        >
        > ABA YONA GOLANI – MY UNCLE )MY MOTHER SIDE) – ORIGINE FAM. NAME = GOLTZIN. I
        > TRY TO ATTACH 2 PIC. 1. YONA WITH HIS WIFE SHENKA IN BET ZERA 1934? 2. PART
        > OF GOLTZIN FAM. IN KEIDAN 1931? YONA STAND RIGHT, NEAR HIM – DAVID PRUSAK
        > (RABI FEINSILBER SECRETER) +GITLE MY TANTE. THE BOY ON THE RIGHT –
        > YOSEF-YOSSI GOLTZIN – THE LAST HASHOMER HZAIR LEADER IN KEIDAN.
        >
        > I HOPE YOU CAN SEE THE PIC. I HAVE MANY OLD FHOTOS FROM KEIDAN IN CASE
        > SOMEBODY INTERESTING.
        >
        > AVSHI HITTIN BET ZERA IL

      • Sharon
        Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
          There was a book in which there was a picture of my grandmother, who was a dressmaker and ran a sewing school for girls in Keidan, posed with some of the girls and my father (as about a 9 or 10 year old) in front. It was the only picture my father was able to find of my grandmother who was killed in 1941 (and there is a copy in my parents' house) but I wondered if it might also be in this book that is being translated or among Avshi's photos. My grandmother's name was Roze Shternfeld Zilberas, my father was Joseph Zilberas.