Re: [JewishKeidan] Keidan Yizkor Book - now online!

  • A Cassel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2011
      Yes, Avshi, that's the book. Everyone should appreciate the terrific work that your father and others did collecting and preserving the memory of Keidan. Now those who cannot read the Hebrew portions will have access. I hope it meets with your approval.

      If you know any Keidaners or Keidan descendents in Israel who would like to help with the project, please pass the word and tell them to get in touch.

      On Dec 30, 2011, at 7:52 AM, אבשי <avshi_h@...> wrote:

      HI ANDDY.

      DO YOU MEAN THE BOOK –KEIDAN – YIZKOR BOOK  THAT MR. CHROST & COMITEE ISSUE 1977? HEBREW + YIDISH+ENGLISH. (NO. 5 ON THE COMITEE LIST – PESACH HITTIN- WEIZER FROM BET-ZERA IS MY FATHER).

      I WISH ALL QF YOU A VERY GOOD YEAR 2012.

      AVSHI HITTIN – BET ZERA IL

      מאת: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com [mailto:JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com] בשם awcassel
      נשלח: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:55 AM
      אל: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
      נושא: [JewishKeidan] Keidan Yizkor Book - now online!

      Friends,

      I have some exciting news. A substantial portion of the Keidan Memorial Book, the yizkor book published in Tel Aviv in 1977, is now on our site. This has been a goal for many years, and it is now coming into view. Around a fourth of the nearly 80 articles published in the 1977 book -- which range from accounts of Keidan's early settlement to memoirs of life in the 20th century and accounts by survivors of the tragic 1941 massacre -- can be viewed and read here:

      http://home.comcast.net/~acassel/keidan/yizkor/

      There are also links there from the site www.keidan.net. I encourage all of you to browse through the material, which I am sure you will find of great interest.

      This is a big step forward - however, it means we have much more to do to get the rest of the Memorial Book translated and up on line. The good news here is that I have located a very competent translator in Israel, who is willing to undertake the job as soon as we can provide funding.

      That's where I hope some of you can help out. As a rough guess, I'm estimating it will cost somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000 to fully complete the translation work. How fast we get there will depend on how many of you are willing to share in the cost. We have more than 100 members on this list, so the average cost could run as little as $50 per person. That's a modest price to help preserve and disseminate some very important historical material.

      Please let me know if you are willing to help. I'll be in touch soon with details on where and how to send contributions. Many thanks in advance, and meanwhile, please enjoy the treasure trove of Keidan material we now have available to us. All the best, and a healthy and peaceful 2012 to everyone.

      Andy

    • Yehudh bn Shlmo
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2011
        > If you know any Keidaners or Keidan descendents in Israel who would like to help with the project, please pass the word and tell them to get in touch.

        You could ask Yosi Shneider in Ashdod.

        Yehudah ben Shlomo