Re: [JewishKeidan] Sept. 25 Memorial at Keidan mass grave

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2011
      Mr. Cassel, Just wanted you to know that the Keidan article on Wikipedia had an extremely misleading reference to the massacre there during the Holocaust making it sound as though it was about only 100 people killed. I changed it, but I have never changed Wiki before and couldn't figure out how to change references in there. It was particularly concerning because it gave as its reference the Martin Gilbert book which I read a long time ago, but certainly don't think that book had said only 100 Jews were killed. You might want to look at what I did and make it a bit more elegant prose and reference. I got the substance of my change from the Lithuanian Jewish Communities book by Shoenburg and Shoenburg, the Keidan section (which looks like it might have been taken from something your father or grandfather wrote) but couldn't figure out how to put in references etc. Thanks.

      Also am wondering if there are any elderly survivors of Keidan in the NY area? I would love to get in touch with whoever might be left as my dad did not leave Lithuania until after the Holocaust.

      Finally, wanted to call attention of NY area people to the annual Lithuania memorial commemoration which takes place every year on Halloween weekend. I went last year and it was very nice. I attended with the grandson of my father's best friend from Keidan who was his next door neighbor, and we encountered the family of another of my father's good friends from medical school in Kovno. (Apparently for a time, they were both doctors in the Kovno ghetto) I will send more details on the event when I get them from my mom.