Commemoration in Kedainiai

  • m jv
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2011

    Dear keidaners

    You can find some attached pictures from Kedainiai. On August 28, I was in 70 year commemoration of destruction of Kedainiai Jews. As you can see, event was small but nice. There were some official talks by director of Kedainiai regional museum and official form municipality. During ceremony was presented sculpture, made by local artist, "Burning bush" - in the eye are 2072 bullets - such number of the Jews from Kedainiai were killed on August 28. this sculpture later will be move to killing place and will part of memorial, together with inscribed victim names. Later everyone was invited to go to killing place to put stone on the grave. Director of the museum presented plans for commemoration on September 23. Good news - on the road to killing place standing new road signs. It is very helpful to find it.

    Milda Jakulyte-Vasil
    Vilna Gaon State Jewish Museum
    Pamėnkalnio 12, LT-01114
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Tel. +370 5 2127083
    www.jmuseum.lt

    Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
      Thank you so much for sharing the photos, Milda. I also received some photos of the commemoration from Mr. Zirgulis via Myra Sklarew. I've posted those along with yours in the "photos" section of this group page, where all subscribers may view them.

      One request: Can you locate the exact site of the mass grave on a Google map? I'm trying to place markers on the Google Earth program for important sites, and although I know the general location of the mass grave, I would like to be able to locate it directly. If you know the address or a map coordinate, please let me know.

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, m jv <mildajv@...> wrote:

      > Dear keidaners
      >
      > You can find some attached pictures from Kedainiai. On August 28, I was in 70 year commemoration of destruction of Kedainiai Jews. As you can see, event was small but nice. There were some official talks by director of Kedainiai regional museum and official form municipality. During ceremony was presented sculpture, made by local artist, "Burning bush" - in the eye are 2072 bullets - such number of the Jews from Kedainiai were killed on August 28. this sculpture later will be move to killing place and will part of memorial, together with inscribed victim names. Later everyone was invited to go to killing place to put stone on the grave. Director of the museum presented plans for commemoration on September 23. Good news - on the road to killing place standing new road signs. It is very helpful to find it.
      >

      > Milda Jakulyte-Vasil
      > Vilna Gaon State Jewish Museum
      > Pamėnkalnio 12, LT-01114
      > Vilnius, Lithuania
      > Tel. +370 5 2127083
      > www.jmuseum.lt
      > www.holocaustatlas.lt

    • m jv
      Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011
        Dear Andy,
        I cant locate it on Google map - I dont know how it works:(  I send you coordinates in decimals, if you need in grades and minutes tell me, than

        N55.299083333 E23.960350000

        Milda