Jewish genealogical conference

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Folks,

      Davida Handler has sent me news about a Jewish genealogical
      conference next year in Las Vegas. I'm posting her note here for
      your information, and in case anyone would like to go. . It's
      addressed to "SIG leaders" but since we don't have a formal leader,
      anyone who's interested is welcome to represent the Keidan group.

      Best,

      Andy Cassel

      ----------

      Dear SIG Leader:

      The 25th IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy,
      scheduled for July 10-15, 2005 at the Flamingo in Las Vegas, Nevada,
      will be here before we know it. We expect that because Las Vegas is
      such a tourist destination, it is likely to be one of the largest
      gatherings ever of Jewish genealogists. The Jewish Genealogy Society
      of Southern Nevada (JGSNV) is working hard to also make it the best
      ever.

      The conference program will emphasize educational and networking
      opportunities during the day, leaving the evenings free to
      experience all that Las Vegas has to offer. Planned talks will be
      grouped by theme and we will have panels of experts for Q & A.

      Because our primary concern is to make the program responsive to
      your needs, we are turning to you for your help and suggestions.
      Please respond to the following 7 items as soon as possible:

      1. SIG leaders are the experts in your fields. Please help us
      ensure that the program includes talks of interest to your members,
      by suggesting topics or speakers.
      2. Do you plan to bring a foreign archivist to the conference?
      3. If you are bringing an archivist, would you like to set up
      individual sessions for researchers to consult with that archivist?
      4. Are you interested in sponsoring a breakfast or a luncheon? If
      so, please identify your 1st and 2nd choices for scheduling the
      either one. Prices have not yet been finalized but will be in
      accordance with past conferences. We can arrange kosher meals if we
      know about this well in advance; there may be an additional cost. We
      have space reserved for 10 breakfasts and 10 luncheons. We will
      make every effort to accommodate your wishes but will need to know
      as soon as possible in order to know approximately how many people
      may attend each function so that we may hold the rooms.
      5. Please let us know if you will require a room for a business
      meeting, networking session or other SIG meeting and if so, your
      scheduling preferences.
      6. We would like to invite you to participate in a "SIG Fair" that
      is available at no cost to you. The SIG Fair will take place on one
      or two days during the conference (depending on the number of
      participating SIGs). We will provide a skirted table and display
      easel for each participating SIG in a large, convenient area in the
      hotel. You will supply resource material, brochures, newsletters,
      and other information, and display maps, banners and other visual
      materials related to your SIG and to your geographic region and
      topics of interest. You will also schedule one or more SIG members
      to be available at your table to discuss your SIG and the resources
      you provide. We envision this as a great opportunity for conference
      attendees to learn about the benefits of SIG membership and to ask
      questions in an informal atmosphere about conducting research in
      your region of interest, and for your SIG members to meet and
      network.
      7. Is there anything else we should be aware of to help you and
      your members have a great experience at the conference?

      To expedite our planning it is necessary to let us know if you want
      to sponsor a SIG breakfast, luncheon or business meeting no later
      than November 15. We will also appreciate receiving your ideas about
      speakers and topics by November 15. Please provide all other
      requested information as soon as possible but no later than February
      1.

      Thank you in advance for taking the time to help us make next
      summer's conference especially informative and exciting. We look
      forward to hearing from you.

      Sincerely,

      Davida Noyek Handler
      President, LitvakSIG