Forward article

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 17, 2011
      You might be interested in this article posted today on the Jewish Forward website:

      http://www.forward.com/articles/141461/#

      Best,

      ac
    • Yahoomail
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 17, 2011
        What a wonderful article!  Thanks for writing this and sharing it with us. -Lynn Lubamersky

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 17, 2011
          Andy,
          Thanks so much for sharing the article.
          Marla

          Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone

        • margery@ix.netcom.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 17, 2011
            Thanks, Andy. See you Sunday.

            Margery

            From: Marla <marla113@...>
            Sender: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:23:58 -0500
            To: <JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [JewishKeidan] Forward article

            awcassel <acassel@...> wrote:

            >You might be interested in this article posted today on the Jewish Forward website:
            >
            >http://www.forward.com/articles/141461/#
            >
            >Best,
            >
            >ac

          • Barbera Levin
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 17, 2011

              Hi Andy,

              Thanks for this article, so interesting. Wish I knew of other Keidan descendents living in Britain . Do you? I will remember in my own way but wish I could have shared with those in Israel or in New York .

              Best wishes

              Barbara Levin London UK

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011

                Dear all,

                I have an idea, concerning the plan of the Keidan museum and municipality to  have a stone plaque with the names of the victims put up in September.

                If they have not done it yet, and if is not too late, we could suggest that we go through the on line  Yad Vashem pages of Testimony, to look for last names.  We could divide the job among several of us, to make it faster.

                Andy, could you please find out if the Kedainiai people would be interested in us doing  that?

                Thanks,

                Tamar Dothan

                Jerusalem

              • Tamar Dothan
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011

                  Hello,

                  I just wrote to mr. Rimantas Zirgulis the director of the Kedainiai museum [thanks to Andy for giving me his e mail address], asking if they are interested in our help in getting Keidan victims' names from the Yad Vashem POT. I'll update you  with his reply.

                  Tamar Dothan

                  Jerusalem

                  I have an idea, concerning the plan of the Keidan museum and municipality to  have a stone plaque with the names of the victims put up in September.

                  If they have not done it yet, and if is not too late, we could suggest that we go through the on line  Yad Vashem pages of Testimony, to look for last names.  We could divide the job among several of us, to make it faster.

                  Andy, could you please find out if the Kedainiai people would be interested in us doing  that?

                  Thanks,

                  Tamar Dothan

                  Jerusalem

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Sara
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011
                    Tamar
                    That's great!  I  wanted to do the same.I wonder what the answer will be.
                    Thanks for the initiative.
                    Sara

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011

                      Hello,

                      Mr. Zirgulis from the Kedainiai museum answered me very  quickly. He has the Yad Vashem list – I think this is his main source of data. He wants to include only the names of people from Keidan and surroundings who were murdered on Aug.  28, 1941 [ those buried in the mass grave]. So he is going through the Yad Vashem  Keidan list  to get the names.

                      I don't know whether he is reading  the translations of the original POTs, or just going through the list he got from Yad Vashem.

                      He plans to write first and last names, as written in Lithuanian. In Lithuanian the last names have different suffixes for men, married women, and non-married women. As the original Pages of Testimony are mostly  in Hebrew or  Yiddish the last names don't have these suffixes.  So he  cannot always  tell by the name the person's  gender, and he can't tell if a  woman was married.

                      After he prepares the list, he will send it to me, so I can go over it and correct mistakes. I guess this will demand   reading each original POT. I will probably ask for some of you to help me.

                      I also asked him if he wants us to send him names of people we know were murdered on Aug. 28, as I assume not everybody has filled out ages of Testimony for each known relative. I'll let you all know when he answers that.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011
                      Great project!

                      Harvey Kaplan
                      Glasgow, Scotland

                      (descended from Kaplans and Fayns in Keidan in the 1880s)

                      PS - attached photo is me and Rimantas Zirgulis in the museum in 2005

                      Message 11 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011

                        Hello again,

                        I am including part of a message I received this evening from Rimantas Zirgulis.

                        " we are going to notice all 2076 victims, burried in that grave. So we will write full name with surname (if we know).

                        If we don't know name - we will write only surname, or will write only name without surname and instead lost

                        names/surnames probably we will show questuion-marks. And to notice totaly unknown persons we are going to cut Magen David. So I would like to show all we lost..."

                        Based on that I suggest that each of us sends Mr. Zirgulis a list of our relatives murdered on Aug. 28 1941. I don't know if he is going to group them in family groups, but I suggest that we send the names in  family groups.  Please add also years of birth when you know them. As there were several people with the same names, placing them within their families and adding their years of birth will help to know when  these are two different persons  or just the same person appearing in two lists [ours and Yad Vashem].

                        When you know only first names, or only last names [like when you don't know a kid's or a spouse's name], please include them too.

                        Address your e- mail to:

                        Rimantas Zirgulis

                        Director of Kedainiai Regional Museum

                        muziejus@...

                        Tamar Dothan

                        Jerusalem

                        Message 12 of 16 , Aug 18, 2011
                          Mr. Harvey Kaplan,
                          Are you related to the famous genious of Keidan, Rabbi Dr. A. Kaplan.
                          If yes please tell me how?
                          Max Munk

                            Message 14 of 16 , Aug 19, 2011
                              I was wondering if someone could forward the following note to Mr. Zirgulis for me--I doubt that my dad submitted a testimony sheet at Yad Vashem,. I would like to send the following vicitms: Reze Shterenfeld (daite?) Zilberas (or Zilber, not sure which is correct in Lithuanian, my grandmother, a dressmaker who ran a sewing school for girls in Keidan (her parents, Yousel and Beyle Etl Shterenfeld are buried in the Jewish graveyard of Keidan), her sister Mere Shterenfeld Finkelshtein, and her sister's husband, also Finkelshtein who was a lawyer in Keidan (my mother says he was a former mayor of the town but I never heard my father say so). I know he was quite elderly and infirm and so had to be transported to the place where the Jews were held before being killed in the woods by wheelbarrow My grandmother Reze was born in 1870 and so was 71. I will be away for the next week on vacation so will be difficult/impossible for me to send or respond to emails after today. I know there were also another sister who was oldest, Chana Shterenfeld Rabinovich who had at least 3 children and at least one of them, one of the sons also named Rabinovich was killed with his wife and 2 children in Keidan (some of the others were killed in Kovno) but I don't know which son it was, or the other names, only that it was the Rabinovich family. Not sure who among the Lurie cousins was killed either but would like to have my grandmother and my father's aunt and uncle who helped raise him listed. They were all killed in August 1941. Thanks, Sharon.

                              Message 15 of 16 , Aug 19, 2011
                                I know that a male had the suffix as As in our name was Seting it would be Setingas and the female was ai that would make it Setingai.

                                Message 16 of 16 , Aug 26, 2011
                                  Hello Max,

                                  Who is Dr. A. Kaplan?

                                  I have traced my Kaplan family (via my pgm) in Vandziogala, Zeimiai and Kedainiai from the 1840's thru the 1910's in Kedainiai.

                                  I have an Abel-Morduch (Abraham-Itzhik) Kaplan, son of Yudel Kaplan.  Abraham was born  in 1835 and died in 1908.

                                  Abraham supposedly make trip(s) to Jerusalem and was active  in Vilnius.

                                  Ed Just