More Keidan yortzayt commemorations

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2011
      Friends,

      This may surprise you as it did me. Myra Sklarew received the email below from Rimantas Zirgulis, director of the Kedainiai Regional Museum, after she notified him of the planned commemorations in New York and Israel:

      Dear Prof. Sklarew,

      Thank You very much for information. Our museum with Kedainiai municipality also is going to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Holocaust. On August 28 we are planning commemoration ceremony for our lost co-citizens in Old Market square near complex of synagogues. About 23th of September we are going to unveil memorial near mass grave with family names which are known. We have more than 1000 names from 2076 jews of Kedainiai, Seta and Zeimiai were killed in our town on 28th August. So You are very welcome in Kedainiai to participate in commemoration of our Jewish community.

      With best wishes,
      Rimantas Zirgulis

      Apparently the museum is attempting to compile as many names as possible of those killed in the period leading up to and including Aug. 28. If anyone has information that could help, let me know and I'll pass it on to Mr. Zirgulis.
    • Elaine and Lance Soller
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2011

        Hi all,

        Is there anything in South Africa for this?

        Lance Soller

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2011

          I know of no plans there, but if anyone else does I would be pleased to share the information. It also may not be too late to organize something, if someone in SA wants to take the initiative.

          On Aug 14, 2011, at 11:51 PM, "Elaine and Lance Soller" <soller@...> wrote:

          Hi all,

          Is there anything in South Africa for this?

          Lance Soller

        • Tamar Dothan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011

            Hello,

            Like  you wrote, the planned ceremonies in Keidan  are surprising.

            Would it be possible to know what  are they planning to write on the memorial plaque in regards to what happened on  Aug. 28 1941?

            Thanks,

            Tamar Dothan

            Jerusalem

[...]

            No virus found in this message.

          • Yehudh bn Shlmo
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 2011
              On Tisha B'Av many recite two Kinos dedicated to the Holocaust.
              For those who are unable to attend a commemoration, it might be
              meaningful to take a few minutes on August 28th to read these.
              Below is a link to a Hebrew/English version with commentary from
              the Tisha B'Av Siddur.

              http://artscroll.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/kinnah-bobov-rschwab.pdf

              Shalom Shalom,
              Yehudah ben Shlomo