Keidan yortzayt commemorations; New York and Israel

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2011
      Just a followup to anyone who missed the earlier post:

      On Sunday, Aug. 28, 2011, Keidaners and Keidan descendents in the U.S. and Israel will mark the 70th anniversary of the Nazi-Lithuanian massacre of Keidan's Jewish community. In New York we will gather at 2pm at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. We will have a brief ceremony, a chance to recall the vibrant community that was and the lives that were ended so cruelly, followed by light refreshments.

      Joining us, I'm pleased to add, will be poet Myra Sklarew, whose writings about Keidan are among the most moving and evocative you'll find anywhere. Also, journalist and writer Ellen Cassedy Blum will share her observations from recent trips to Lithuania.

      All are welcome to attend. If at all possible, please let me know by email if you plan to be with us; this will facilitate your entry to the Museum's conference room. The commemoration will begin at 2pm and finish by 4pm.

      For those Keidan friends in Israel, meanwhile, I am pleased to pass on the following:

      Shalom to our Keidaner Friends,

      Each year we commemorate our families, murdered in Keidan on August 28, 1941. Usually we meet at the old cemetery of Holon, by the memorial dedicated to the victims of Keidan.

      This year, on the 70th anniversary of the murder, we've decided to hold the commemoration meeting at the hall of the Association of Lithuanian Jews in Israel, 1 David Hamelech str., Tel Aviv, generously offered to us by its management. The meeting will take place on Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 18:00. Anybody having memories or records to share is welcome to take part in the discussion.

      We're glad that our fellow Keidaners in the US are holding a parallel meeting at the same day (see the announcement by Mr. A. Cassel at this site).

      Unfortunately, the majority of the first generation of survivors and founders of our association are not with us any more and we have no addresses and/or phone numbers of the second or third generations. Therefore we welcome each recipient of this announcement to pass this information to people who may be interested to join us and feel a part of the community.

      With best regards,

      Arie Shcherbakov

      secretary of the Association of Kedainers in Israel

      0527-909-743

      ashcherbakov@...
    • Tamar Dothan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2011

        Thanks for the details about  the commemoration meeting in Tel Aviv.

        Tamar Dothan

        Jerusalem

[...]

        No virus found in this message.