Re: 70th Yortzayt for Keidan - NYC, Aug. 28

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 23 8:34 AM
      I doubt we will be able to set up a live teleconference link given time and resources, but we can certainly try to record the procedings in some fashion, and make that available afterwards. Thanks for your interest.

      If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Again, we're planning to meet at 2pm on Sunday, Aug. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. Looking forward to seeing as many Keidaner friends as possible that day. Thanks again.

      Andy

      JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Beverly <briggs36427@...> wrote:

      > Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 23 9:42 AM
        I plan to attend ,if our family is in town, with my son and possibly my husband too. My father was Joseph Silber who came to the US after the war, his mother was Rosa Shterenfeld, Mother's sisters Chana Shternfeld Rabinowitz and Mere Shterenfeld Finkelstein. We are also related to the Lurie family.

        I doubt we will be able to set up a live teleconference link given time and resources, but we can certainly try to record the procedings in some fashion, and make that available afterwards. Thanks for your interest.

        If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Again, we're planning to meet at 2pm on Sunday, Aug. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. Looking forward to seeing as many Keidaner friends as possible that day. Thanks again.

        Andy

        JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Beverly <briggs36427@...> wrote:

        > Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

      • Sara
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 357 KB
        Shalom to Barbara Levin,
        I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
        He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are  going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
        Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
        I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
        Best regards
        Sara Yakubovski

        From: awcassel <acassel@...>
        To: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 12:24 AM

        Keidaner friends,

        I'm very pleased to invite subscribers to this list to a very special commemoration of Keidan's Jewish community this summer in New York City .

        As you know, Aug. 28, 1941 was the day the Nazis and their Lithuanian helpers murdered more than 2,000 Keidan Jews, methodically shooting and burying them in a mass grave just outside the town.

        This year, on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2011, Keidaners and Keidan descendents in the U.S. will mark the 70th anniversary of that day at the Museum of Jewish Heritage , 36 Battery Place in Manhattan . We will have a brief ceremony, a chance to recall the vibrant community that was and the lives that were ended so cruelly, followed by light refreshments.

        All are welcome to attend. If possible, please let me know by email if you plan to be with us so we can make sure there are sufficient chairs and refreshments. The commemoration will begin at 2pm and finish by 4pm. I hope to see as many of you as possible.

        Warmly,

        Andy Cassel
        awcassel@...

      • shacknofskysonja
        Message 4 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
          Hi Barbera, I am originally from South Africa, my father from Keidan. I distinctly remember him speaking of a Chaim Linda but I am sure that he lived in South Africa

          --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sara <sarayaku@...> wrote:

          > Shalom to Barbara Levin,
          > I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
          > He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
          > Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
          > I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
          > Best regards
          > Sara Yakubovski

        • shacknofskysonja
          Message 5 of 18 , Aug 13, 2011
            Hi,
            My father came from Keidan and had a friend Chaim Linda who was from Keidan and lived  in South Africa.

            --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sara <sarayaku@...> wrote:

            > Shalom to Barbara Levin,
            > I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
            > He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
            > Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
            > I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
            > Best regards
            > Sara Yakubovski

          • Harriet Sugar Miller
            Message 6 of 18 , Oct 28, 2011
              He's my great great grandfather and lived in or near Keidan (maybe in Seta), died around 1904, we think is buried in the Keidan cemetery. Anybody recognize the name?
              Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal